~:Chapter 55:~

"Hello, everyone. This is class president Elle Lane here. Unfortunately, Sarah and Diaz have run into some trouble, so that I will take over for them for the time being. I hope you all enjoy the game as it reaches its finale! It's going to be so much fun! Yay!"

* * * 

Vanessa placed a hand on her hip as she stood outside the lab, gently tapping the keypad. Fully expected to come with a set of numbers to input a code on the digital screen. Instead, the door was already unlocked. All she had to do was press the button.

"I suppose sometimes you just get lucky." She smirked, dainty tapping on the button as she watched the door slide open. She sighed, stepping inside. "Almost... too easy." She whispered to herself, immediately spinning around as she glanced from side to side in the hallway and felt a chill up her spine like someone was watching her.

She sighed at herself for getting too on edge; after all, she no longer needed Danielle. It was just as easy to get her to agree as to get rid of her. All she had to do was threaten Eric's life. It didn't take her long before she folded.

"I've already offered money for a group of dangerous individuals to hunt down and take care of Eric if I die in that game. Perhaps it'd be in your best interest to help me, would it not?"

Sure, an agreement required her to share as much information as she possibly knew, which she wasn't happy with, yet, getting rid of her would've been relatively easy. After all, she was well aware of who was hunting them down. She wasn't an idiot. It didn't take a rocket scientist to know what she, along with the others, knew was something that anyone behind the games wouldn't want to get out. So, by telling the group, she successfully diverted their attention to her. To anyone else, it was genius; to her, it was a simple plan she constructed. After all, she always gets what she wants.

Then again, the only issue was running into Eric, which didn't seem to be an issue at all, so there was no point in worrying about it. In truth, Vanessa didn't know anyone who would kill Eric; hell, she only knew Eric was in the game, not where he was. Luckily, Danielle didn't need to know that.

She rolled her eyes at nothing in particular as she turned around. Now that Allen and Ariana were out of the way, and whoever was hunting them was busy with god knows what, Vanessa was free to do what she pleased. 

She stepped into the lab, glancing around the dark room as she searched for a light switch, the only light coming in from the hallway, which was already relatively dim. She returned to the room and reached for any light switch along the walls.

"Oh?" She muttered aloud as she felt her fingers graze a light switch; she flipped it on, staring at the traditionally styled light switch, which felt a bit out of place considering how technologically advanced the room was. She sighed, deciding to ignore it for now as the chemicals were her top priority.

She wanted to turn around, yet, she froze. The hairs on the back of her neck rose as she heard a soft sound, like someone behind her was breathing softly. Her eyes widened as she glanced at the door, immediately attempting to rush forward. Instead, her neck caught on something, and she was dragged back. She immediately reached her hands up to pull at whatever rope twisted around her neck as it pulled tighter and tighter, restricting her airway.

In her final moments, she didn't feel scared. Instead, angry. Angry at herself for being so stupid to fall for a trap like yet. Yet, these feelings didn't last long; soon, everything faded into a black void, like there was nothing.

* * *

"SHIT!" Catherine slammed on the door, banging as hard as she could until her fist throbbed in pain. She frantically turned to the side and stepped toward the keypad, tapping on the black screen, waiting for it to change, yet, it didn't. It was almost as if the power had been cut from the electronic door. She grunted in frustration, slamming her fist against the keypad, causing the glass to crack from her aggressive slam.