Chapter Thirteen- More Twins

How's it coming?"

"Almost done."

"Wish I could come with."

Bart Allen looked up at the man who had been his mentor for the past week or so, "Sorry, only seats one."

"Ah-hem?"

He gave an apologetic look to his sister, who obviously didn't like being left out.

"Well, two if you're really thin."

February 28, 2016. 10:07.
Mount Justice.
~~Emma~~

It had been over a week since my resolution, and I couldn't feel better. I did what Willow said, concentrating on other things. I spent more time training on my own and with the team, taught Tim a few new slick moves on Mario Kart, and showed Mara how to do a Chevron-pattern friendship bracelet. Life couldn't be better. Even though I'd been fired, I poured my energy into keeping Gotham safe for Bruce, and helping Rick with minuscule tasks for WayneTech. I didn't want to tell Bruce I'd completely given up in that area.

"Decryption completed." The computer said after a five-minute wait. That was officially the longest it ever took.

"Is that the Krolotean Intel?" Robin asked, approaching me and Nightwing at the computers with Finch, Rachel, and Gar.

"What Krolotean Intel?" The Beast Twins asked together. I love it when the two of them do the "twin thing".

"The data files M'gann and J'onn recovered from Malina island before it was destroyed," Nightwing explained. Mara got an excited look on her face as I turned a screen around so she could see too.

"Apparently, the Kroloteans were hoping to find something inside us," I continued.

"Like what?" Mara asked, fiddling with a few of the alien symbols onscreen.

Richard shook his head, "There's no exact human word for it. The closest translation is...'metagene'."

"'Metagene'?" Tim was still confused.

Gar elbowed him, "Never met-a-gene I didn't like!" He joked. Mara and Rachel both burst out laughing.

"Warning: Unknown energy impulse detected."

The computer screens automatically turned off, and the six of us all took defensive positions as a ball of crackling electricity and energy appeared in the center of the mission room. I kept the kids behind my wings as a large machine appeared inside the ball of energy and landed on the floor of the cave with a loud "THUNK!"

"Stand ready!" Nightwing commanded. Robin and I pulled out our bo staffs, Nightwing grabbed his eskirima sticks, Finch held a birdarang prepared to launch, and Beast Boy and Beast Girl tensed, muscles coiled, prepared for anything.

Well, almost anything.

The door of the machine opened, and two spandex-clad kids jumped out.

"Ta-daa!" They both exclaimed, striking identical poses. They looked identical too. Brownish hair, blue eyes tinted by the same kind of orangish goggles, red and white uniforms, they just had to be another set of twins.

"Intruder alert. Intruder alert."

"Computer, lock down cave!" Nightwing commanded, and we all relaxed just barely.

"Well, I think we've found our 'unknown energy impulse'..." Gar trailed off.

"Impulse? That's so crash!" The boy intruder exclaimed eagerly.