Chapter Forty-Two- Triumphed

June 19, 2016. 00:10.
Santa Prisca.

It is silent on the humid jungle island, the old location for a factory that used to make a certain drug known as "Kobra Venom."

But the leaders meeting here today have a far more nefarious purpose than drug dealing. And a certain group of teenagers are here to stop them.

After all, that's what they do.

"Ready?"  The team's leader, a tall young man in a black suit with a blue bird symbol on the chest and a domino mask over his eyes, asks his team through a telepathic link.

"Born that way, plus six months." Wildfire can't wait to see her friends again. She adjusts her goggles, pulls back her honey-blonde hair, and squeezes Superboy's hand nervously. The juvenile clone of Superman gently squeezes back.

Today is much more than a reunion. Today will decide not only the fate of their team and their home planet, but quite possibly the fate of the entire galaxy as well.

Nightingale, a girl with a long, dark brown ponytail and a uniform identical to her twin's with the exception of a purple symbol instead of blue, is more terrified of what's about to happen than anyone else.

Kid Flash, a ginger-haired boy with a ketchup-and-mustard-colored uniform flinches as two gunshots ring out from the inner chamber.

Nightwing holds out a hand to stop the speedster from running into the room at full speed. "All part of the plan. Don't worry."

The younger team members have varying levels of excitement and fear as they stick to their hiding spots. Today is bigger than anything they've ever done, and they all know that.

Suddenly, it's time.

"Now!" Miss Martian commands.

Flanked by Bumblebee, Guardian, and the ever-faithful Wolf, Wildfire and Superboy burst into the inner chamber from one door behind the invading Reach delegation, while Kid Flash, Nightwing, Nightingale, and Batgirl cut off the Light's escape route from the other side of the chamber.

Miss Martian, having shed her guise as Deathstroke, levitates a sword pointed dangerously close to Vandal Savage's throat. Aqualad, formerly known as a traitor among his teammates, glares down at his wicked father, and Artemis smirks at a greatly surprised Ra's Al Ghul.

"We value our true friends." Aqualad shifts his glare to Vandal Savage. "And unlike you, we are not short on them."

"Hey Vandy! Did you miss me?" KF coos to the criminal mastermind. Nightingale smirks. Years of retirement can't distill the boy's sense of humor.

The Reach aliens and the present members of the Light, already on the verge of fighting each other, wear expressions of mixed shock and anger at the teens who have crossed each of them multiple times.

Vandal Savage finally finds the composure to speak.

"Well planned, well played. But the Light always has contingencies."
Behind Batgirl, the door slams shut. Wolf yelps in surprise as the same happens behind Guardian.

The roof above the gathering opens up, and assassins from the League of Shadows begin to rain down on top of them.

"Do not expect to survive."

Wildfire tries to hide her smirk. This is Savage's contingency plan? He's just playing into the team's hands!

"Kill them all." Savage commands the assassins. "Superboy may present a problem, and Wildfire's Pyro asset may still prove useful. But we'll deal with them when the other children lie bleeding on the ground."