Chapter Thirty-Seven- All's Fair In Love And War

May 26, 2016. 6:56.
Watchtower.

"Attention...Warworld. This is Captain Atom of the Justice League, representing the planet Earth. We wish to open negotiations."

They all waited, tense aboard the bioship. Superboy gripps the controls, waiting for the alien tyrant's reply.

A deep, growling reply comes almost immediately. "But I am uninterested in negotiations."

The team knows what that means, and by the tone of his voice, it sounds like Mongul won't be changing his mind anytime soon. The bioship, in camouflage mode, continues on its course to the Warworld as Mongul continues his monologue on how the Reach and the Earth threaten his plans for the future of the galaxy. Plans that all on the team agree they can do without.

"Look at the size of that thing..." Robin gasps.

"Cut the chatter, Red Two," Beast Girl quips, wiping the nervous sweat from the back of her neck.

They cut around the Watchtower, heading behind the Warworld to the docking bay Green Beetle identified in the Warworld's schematics, when the surface of the artificial planet begins to shift. Brass Beetle grips Blue Beetle's hand tightly in the deathly silence. Unlike usual, he does not return the gesture.

"Look!" Finch exclaims suddenly, breaking the quiet. A large, rectangular opening appears in the front half of the Warworld, with a laser protruding, aimed for Earth.

"Oh crud."

Terra bites down on her thumb to keep from screaming in the tight space as the laser emitter shoots out at their planet.

Everyone gasps, but at the last second, they all watch as a glowing Ankh symbol appears in front of Earth, bouncing the laser back at the Warworld and taking out the big gun.

"Superboy, can't this thing go any faster?" Waterfall snaps.

It can, and it does. As Rocket moves into position to cover Doctor Fate, the bioship takes off, nearly knocking everyone off their feet or their chairs, slowing down abruptly when they reach the dock.

"Everyone know their assignments?" Wildfire asks, running down the ramp with Wolf on her heels.

There is a chorus of "Yeah's," "Uh-huh's," and "We got it's" as the team naturally divides into their squads.

"Then let's go!"

Delta disappears back into the bioship. Gamma climbs aboard Sphere, now in super-cycle mode. Blue Beetle leads Beta down one hall, following the schematics from Green Beetle. And Alpha heads down another hall to the helm of the Warworld.

Superboy puts a hand to the comm in his ear, and Wildfire can hear him in her own earpiece and she sprints alongside Wolf and Arsenal, Wonder Girl flying above them.

"Alpha squad to Watchtower. Green Beetle's schematics were on the money, at least so far. We're in route to take down Mongul. No commander, and the threat ends."

"Beta squad is en-route to the key chamber. We snag the Crystal key, and the threat ends." Blue Beetle reports, flying alongside his girlfriend and Beast Boy. Blur and Impulse choose to stick with their team instead of running ahead, and keep pace with Beast Girl.

"Gamma squad is en-route to disable the Warworld's power core. No power, and the threat ends." Bumblebee reports.

Finch sits in the bioship, excited as she places her hands on the controls for the weapons system. Tim too, is excited as he sits in the pilot's seat.

"Delta squad is moving into position." Batgirl reports. "Laying down cover fire for surface forces..." She signals Finch, "Now!"

At her command, Finch fires a laser at a line of the Warworld's cannons attacking Captain Marvel and Captain Atom. Billy gives her a salute with a silly grin which Mara returns. Marvel is her favorite member of the League.