Chapter Seven- Promises

January 26, 2016. 00:10.

Mount Justice

~~Emma~~

"Keep an eye on her," I said to Carter.

"I'll do what I can, but no one can tell what this stubborn old lady can do when she feels threatened," He smirked and put an arm around his wife. 

Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter, Green Lantern John Stewart, and Hawkwoman, accompanied by Hawkman and Icon, were about to embark on a journey across the galaxy to their intergalactic trial before the High Court of Rimbor concerning the events five years ago. There was a very strong chance that they wouldn't come back, and I didn't know what I'd do if Bruce was gone or Shayera never came back. I was determined to not think about it like that. They were innocent. They would come back.

Shayera elbowed him sharply in the gut, but smiled herself. She put a hand on my shoulder, "I will come back, Emma. That's a promise."

For a second, I almost believed her. But then the memories of all the promises Kaldur had made me, telling me he loved me, the promises from Wally, saying that we'd be an unstoppable team forever, the promises from my family that they'd always be there for me, the promises from Nightwing that we were brother and sister forever and that we'd never keep secrets from each other, all flooded back into mind, and I stared at the sand, "I'm not sure if I trust promises anymore."

Leaving her with those last words, I headed over to where Batman stood with Finch, Robin, Batgirl, and Nightwing.

"Be careful," Richard said to him.

"I was about to say the same to you five," Bruce remarked in a voice that held secret fear that I had discovered after nearly ten years serving as his partner, "I fear we leave the more dangerous task here, on earth."

I looked at Nightwing, then Finch, then Robin and Batgirl in turn, and we all looked back at Bruce with matching grins.

"We'll manage," I told him. And we would. I was going to look out for my brothers and sisters.

"Time to go," Stewart declared. Superman, Manhunter, Icon, Wonder Woman and Hawkman walked towards him, but Bruce was stopped by a tug on his cape.

"You're gonna come back, right?" Mara asked, tears threatening to escape her mask. Holy chicken whizzies, she's only eleven! No kid her age should have to put up with this! But she does. And she does it all with a brave smile on her face.

Bruce knelt down and put a hand on her shoulder, "I will." He promised. Mara jumped on him in a tight hug.

I felt a sick churning in my stomach. As much as I wanted to believe that him, Shayera, Clark, and everyone else would come back safe and sound, something told me that it wouldn't be that simple.

"Hey," Hawkwoman said from behind me. I turned to see her holding her arms out towards me, "Don't I get a good-bye?"

I smiled sadly at her, and finally complied, trying to relish these last moments I might have with my surrogate mother.

Finally, the other seven heroes gathered around Green Lantern. He raised his ring to the sky and a green bubble began to form around him and his companions.

"May the gods be with you all." Wonder Woman said to us before the bubble could close. 

"And with you." I wanted to say. Don't worry about us, we can handle ourselves.

The green bubble changed into a sleek, green spaceship. It started up, blowing the wing around us. Then it took off and flew away, until it was nothing but a green speck among the stars.