Chapter Four- The Invasion.

January 6, 2012. 09:58.

STAR Labs.

~~Willow~~

"Are you sure it was a good idea to send Miss M and Superboy on the same mission?" Nightingale asked Nightwing, both of us slightly glaring at him. I was kind of upset that my almost-boyfriend had been sent on a mission with his ex without me. It wasn't that I didn't trust M'gann or Connor, but it probably was that I was jealous, according to Karen.

Nightwing sighed, running a hand through his hair, "I sent Rachel and Gar as a buffer. And besides, those two are the only two "aliens" on the team. They had the best chance at not triggering an attack."

"Hate to say it, Em, but it makes sense," I said as I walked into work. I showed the desk manager my pass, "Lance here to see Doctor Dorado," I told her. She cleared us for passage on the elevator. Using my adoptive name doesn't feel right, and using my old last name  just hurts, reminding me of my parents and my brother all over again. So I just use Dinah's maiden name. I admit I grew kind of attached to it when I used it for school.

We headed for the zeta labs, where Doctor Dorado, a close friend of my teacher, Doctor Strange, waited with Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, and Captain Adam.

"Willow," Dorado nodded at me with a kind smile as I put on my lab coat and hurried over to the computers.

"We've received the Raanian signal," I said almost immediately.

"Good," Dorado turned to Nightingale and the others, "They should be arriving now.

As if on cue, the tubes lit up with their familiar golden glow, “Recognize: Adam Strange, A11. Superboy, B04. Miss Martian, B05. Beast Girl, B18. Beast Boy, B19.”

I smiled at Connor, who smiled back. I so badly wanted to go and hug him. He looked at M'gann with a mixture of anger and disappointment. What had happened on Raan?

“Guys! Check out my super-cool alien souvenir!” Gar exclaimed, running in front of M'gann and Strange while proudly holding up a krolotean wrap that was used to designate their officers.

His sister elbowed him harshly, and M'gann put a gentle hand on his shoulder to calm him down.

"Zeta squad, report." Nightwing said, business as usual.

M'gann spoke up first, "Our mission to neutralize the krolotean zeta-platforms on Raan was a sucess."

Strange stepped forward, "I’ve also brought back specs to create a zeta sheild that will prevent any other aliens from beaming to earth." Yes! A new project! What can I say? I love science!

"How will that affect our own zeta capabilities?" Captain Atom asked doubtfully.

Strange pulled up a holographic image of the earth, "It won’t. The zeta-shield will activate above the watchtower’s orbit. League zeta-tubes will still function normally." He pointed to the icon representing the Watchtower well below the zeta-shield.

I took the schematics from him, "I can get to work on them right away," I said, giving Connor's hand a quick squeeze before heading for my office. But Beast Girl's voice stopped me.

"Tell them about Rimbor!" Rachel tugged on M'gann's cape.

"Tell them about the sixteen hours!" Beast Boy added. Wonder Woman and Green Lantern were instantly more alert, giving zeta squad some surprised looks.

"It may be easier to show you..." M'gann said, putting her hand to her head. I just let myself relax as I felt the familiar presence in my mind and M'gann began to tell their story.