Chapter Forty-One- Preparing

June 13, 2016. 20:28
Ivy Town
~~Willow~~

I laughed along with Holly, Wendy, and Karen. It felt good to reconnect with old school friends. I saw Mal and Karen almost every day now, but I missed Holly and all my other soccer friends too.

That was easily fixed when Mal and Karen proposed a "Quadruple Date." The two of them, Me and Connor, Wendy and Marvin, and Holly and her boyfriend, one of Mal and Connor's friends from football days.

"So, how's Megan these days?" Holly asked, sipping her milkshake.

"Shes good." I said shortly.

"Dating a guy named Logan." Mal covered.

"He's a jerk, but he's good to her." Connor added, arm around me as we split a mint chocolate chip sundae.

Wendy pointed her spoon at him, "And you two are still friends? Wow."

"Wendy." I begged.

"Sorry, sorry, ruining the evening, I apologize. Unlike someone I know." She elbowed Marvin, who nearly dropped his smart phone.

I laughed at his face as he stumbled over his words to apologize to Wendy, who grinned and kissed his cheek.

The rest of us burst into laughter.

"Oh! Oh!" Karen gasped, "Remember that Halloween party, years ago?"

"You mean the one where Marv pulled the Martian prank on all of us?" Holly asked.

"Yeah, and you two and Megan turned it on him?" Karen said to me and Connor. We all started laughing again.

"And Mal had that Superman costume, "Done right?"." Connor grinned at Mal, the look in his eyes screaming "Payback time."

Mal blushed and looked embarrassed as Karen screamed with laughter.

"And there were those other two kids, what we're their names?" Holly thought aloud.

"Emma." I told Holly, thinking about my best friend. "Emma and Wally."

We all split up to go home our separate ways soon after. Connor and I went back to Happy Harbor for a walk along the pier. Water was nice, when you weren't surrounded by it.

We leaned on the railing, watching our reflections in the dark water.

"You doin' okay?" He asked quietly.

"As can be expected. We're getting Kaldur and Artemis out in just five days now, and they've made it this far but I'm still terrified that they'll be discovered. And what if the League doesn't get off free? I mean, we know they're innocent, but what if that isn't how intergalactic politics work? What if they never come back!?" I screamed, terrified for Emma and Richard and Tim and Mara and Cassie and M'gann and Connor and even Raquel, loosing their mentors. No, their parents.

It's something I've been through before, and it's not something I'd ever wish on anyone else. Especially for my friends, who had sacrificed so much and received so little.

"Hey." Connor took my face in his hands. "They'll be fine. They always are."

I thought of little Jason and Tula.

"Not always," Pyro said in a gleeful tone.

"Be quiet and let her have a nice evening with her boyfriend!" Scarlett scolded.

I sighed and nodded to Connor, ignoring the psychopath in my brain for the time being. This weren't so bad right now, I could enjoy the evening. "You're right."