Chapter Thirty-Nine- Get Gone

May 30, 2016. 06:35.
The Warworld.
~~Willow~~

I smacked to the ground, unable to see.

"Hello?" A strange voice whispered. Something wet licked my cheek.

"Hello!?" The voice had a Japanese accent, and was dramatically more panicked.

So was I. Where was I? Why couldn't I see?

Connor's voice spoke out of the darkness. "She needs her goggles to see."

My hand flew to my face. My goggles were gone. But how-?

Blue. Blue attacked us. I clenched my fist and pushed my hands against the ground to stand up

"Wildfire, no," Connor grabbed my arm and pulled me down. Wolf licked my cheek again, and I heard his whimpers of concern. I heard mornings and groanings from the team in the background. Where were we?

"Here!" Arsenal shouted urgently. Someone shoved something into my hands, and I could unmistakably feel my goggles. Sighing with relief, I put them on and entered the world of color.

A young Japanese girl with short hair pulled back into a ponytail on top of her head waved to me with a happy smile. "Hello!" One of the runaways.

I nodded, first to her, then to Arsenal. "Thank you."

I looked around. The team, the Runaways and I were all standing in what appeared to be a containment chamber- a very large containment chamber -that was unmistakably part of the Warworld. Stasis cells lined the walls and the pillars placed about fifteen apart all throughout the massive room. Five of the cells were opened, only one out of the rest was occupied, but the big, ugly, three-eyed alien who had attacked the Hall of Justice. Judging by the way all of us except for Arsenal and the Runaways were so groggy, we'd just been freed.

I jumped as a loud crashing noise broke a row of stasis cells behind us.

"I unleashed Mongul to keep Black Beetle occupied so we could escape." Arsenal explained, handing out Mal's Guardian shield, Cassie's golden lasso, and Robin, Finch, and Batgirl's utility belts.

"But we need to go, now!" Ed urged.

Virgil helped Tammy and Terra stand up, Cassie leaned Robin and Finch's arms across her shoulders, Garfield and Rachel supported each other, Blur and Impulse leaned on a somber Sarah, Tye helped Batgirl join the rest of us, and Karen leaned on Mal. I leaned on Wolf for support, but Connor took me instead, leading me and the others after Arsenal to the door on the closer end of the chamber.

He slammed a hand on the controls, "Okay, get ready, there's a squad of Reach soldiers waiting for us."

Oh, now he tells us!

The door slowly slid open, and we all weakly braced ourselves for an attack that never came.

Nightingale, Nightwing, and Miss Martian stood amidst a mound of unconscious soldiers, along with Sphere.

Mara let out a wordless scream, running to Emma immediately. Emma dropped to her little protege, holding her tightly and rocking her back and forth.

"Found her in the docking bay." M'gann said with a smile as I broke away from Connor to hug Sphere. Seconds later, she was ambushed by her own hug from the joyous duo of Rachel and Gar.

"Thank goodness." I gasped.

"Are you alright?" Connor put a hand on my shoulder, but his question was directed at M'gann.

She shrugged awkwardly, patting Rachel's back as Emma grabbed Tim in a hug too. "As I can be."

"Hey fearless leader," Arsenal teased Nightwing, "Better late than never."