Chapter Fifty-Five- Starting Over.

The tree.

The tree is burning again.

Connor is there again. This time, he's not a child, he looks the same way I saw him at dinner with his parents earlier tonight.

He stood at the base of the tree, glaring at me.

"You're not Scarlett." He jeered, green eyes turning red. "This is all your fault!

He raised his fist at me, and I was surrounded by fire.

August 22, 2016. 03:16.
Nightvale.
~~Willow~~

My eyes opened wide, and I heaved deep breaths. Please tell me I didn't scream.

A couple minutes of silence told me that the Grace's were still asleep, oblivious to my nightmare.

I should have known coming back here would do this. Photo hadn't given me nightmares since her prophecy of Wally's death months ago, but coming back to Nightvale and remembering things I hadn't been able to remember before gave her a brand new wound to open.

The room was the same way I'd left it. My computer was on the desk, where I'd been doing research on Lexcorp. For some reason, all the files Emma had hacked and sent me had disappeared, so I had gone to bed slightly ticked off. My duffle was mostly packed, and I hadn't changed out of the clothes I'd worn today, which were now extremely gross-feeling.

So, of course, I did what I always did when I had a nightmare and woke up in the middle of the night.

I went downstairs and had a cup of hot chocolate.

Black ops training really does help when you're sneaking around an unfamiliar kitchen at three in the morning. I quickly found the cocoa packs where they kept the syrup, and I knew where the mugs were, because Mr. Grace always had a cup of tea at breakfast.

I took my first sip of chocolate and looked out the window of the sky, which had the tiniest sliver of pink above the treetops. I had a perfect view of my old house.

Someone was there.

I quickly set my mug down on the kitchen table, ran out the door and across the street.

It was Connor. He sat on the stump of the willow tree, curled up in a fetal position.

He didn't seem to notice the noise I made on the grass as I ran towards him. Then I saw why, he was crying.

"What's wrong?" I asked quietly.

He looked up at me, surprised that I'd found him.

"Y...You." He whispered.

We stared at each other blankly, each wishing the other would speak first.

"You are Scarlett, aren't you?" He asked quietly, sitting up straighter.

I took a deep breath, "That would be correct."

Giving in, Connor scooted over on the stump so that there was enough room for me to sit next to him.

"Why we're you gone for so long?" He asked as we looked at the foundation, all that remained of my old house.

How to answer that, how to answer that?

I swallowed. "I was captured for six years. During that time, I was brainwashed of who I was. After that, I managed to escape. Some...very, very nice people found me and gave me a home. Among them was my friend, Emma. She was one of the key people who, after a year, helped me regain my memories of my old life, of my family.

"Of...of you." I whispered. It was painful to think about the team. About Wally. About Emma.

Connor nodded. "So why didn't you come back then?"

I shuffled my bare feet on the soft grass. "It's complicated."

"How?" He demanded, "How is it complicated? We were best friends, Scar!"

It feels strange to be called that after twelve years, but I guess I should get used to it, if I'm going to be around Connor and his family.

"I was scared, okay!?" I burst. Connor was quiet.

"I was scared of what I would find." I repeated.

"Look at this," I gestured to the house, to the tree stump. "It was traumatic just finding my memories. I was still a teenager, I would have been torn apart at seeing the place where my parents died!"

Connor opened his mouth to speak, but I wasn't finished.

"And what if you'd forgotten me? Or didn't want to be my friend anymore?"

I pointed to the scars on my eyes. "The people who kidnapped me tried again three more times to get me back. My teenage years weren't the best, but I had so many wonderful people to help me get through it all. I couldn't have dragged you or your parents into that. No matter what.

"I love you too much."

It was silent again, but Connor broke it.

"I love you too."

With that, he hugged me. It was the warmest feeling I had ever felt, even including my powers.

"You were, no, are my best friend, Scarlett. It doesn't matter what happens to me as long as I with you."

Slowly, hesitantly, I hugged him back.

Connor broke off the hug and leaned back to look at me. "I'm glad you came back." He said.

Then that smile. That smile filled with childlike joy and innocence that I've missed so much.

"I'm glad I came back too."

-------

The next morning, I woke up around ten. The sun shone through the curtains, signalling the beginning of a brand-new day, and a brand new start.

"Well, look who's up!" Mrs. Grace remarked with her customary smile as I came downstairs-- in fresh clothes, thank you.

Mr. Grace smiled at me with his morning cup of tea, and Connor looked up at me and smiled. The most amazing I've seen since Wally died

I smiled back.

Guys, I'm sorry to say that this is the last Chapter of "Sparks Fly." I hope to have the epilogue up later today, and soon I'll post the prologue for book three.