Chapter Fifty-One- "Angel" In Blue Jeans.

This one goes out to Allegra! For her wonderful writing in this chapter and for just being awesome in general!!

The song is "Angel In Blue Jeans," by Train.

August 10, 2016. 10:34.
Nightvale.

Connor Grace stoops low over his drink in the coffee house. A cinnamon latte with whipped cream. He got it not for the taste, but because the smell reminded him of her. Of Scarlett. She was always there in the corners of his mind, and lately it was so strong it drove him crazy with sorrow. To ease his pain he puts in his headphones, and presses the play button on his iPod.

The little silver bell on the door chimes cheerfully and a young woman walks in. Her sleek honey colored hair has one black streak, and is in a messy bun. A flame shaped hairpin in it that seemed to glow and shift in the light keeps it in place. She wears a grey shirt with a black stylized crescent moon, a thin black open jacket, a dark purple scarf, black boots, sliver framed glasses, and slim blue jeans.

“And though I never got her name
Or time to find out anything
I loved her just the same…
And though I rode a different road
And sang a different song
I'll love her till my last breath’s gone”

He watches her, mesmerized, as she orders her drink and starts to leave. He knows in his heart he has to talk to her, and for one shining moment, their eyes meet.

Her eyes are the color of violets, with bits of green near the pupil. She narrows them at him, turns swiftly, and leaves. The slight breeze from her movement she left in her wake smelled of lilac and cinnamon.

His heart stops.

One of the workers comes over to him.

“Sir, are you alright?” She asks, sounding concerned.

“I’m fine,” he replies, staring at the door.

“Like a river made of silver
Everyone came running to the scene
I was shot down in cold blood
By an angel in blue jeans…”

He stood suddenly, placing a ten-dollar bill on the table.

“Keep the change,” he says distractedly, and bolts out the front door.

He whips his head about frantically, in search of that girl. He catches her turning around a far off corner and disappearing.

He ponders briefly about how he is acting a bit weird, but he at least has to know her name. She is driving him insane.

He spots her again, in the crowded commons area of the local park. He tries to catch up, but he trips on someone’s discarded Frisbee and goes tumbling into the duck pond. After being helped out of the pond, he looks around for her, but she is gone.

“Late that night she got away
I chased her to the turnpike
Then lost her where the music never plays
And though I rolled upon the stones and fell into the water
I'll love her till my judgment day
Like a sunrise made of white lies
Everything was nothing as it seems
I was shot down in cold blood
By an angel in blue jeans…”

He is on his way back to his parent’s house, running his hands through his hair. His father is in very poor health, so he's staying there for a while to help out. Throughout afternoon tea with his parents, he is distracted. Their voices sound blurred and out of reach.

“I hear voices calling all around
I keep falling down
I think my heart could pound right out of me
I see a million different ways
To never leave this maze alive”