Chapter Thirty-Three- Earth and Water

April 5, 2016. 22:10.
Santa Fe.
~~Emma~~

Reacting on instinct, I grabbed Willow and flew her up out of the way. It was enough that we missed the brunt of the blast, but we still got soaked.

I landed, and Willow collapsed on the ground, shuddering and coughing up water. I grabbed her arm and pulled her to her feet.

Turning back to the two girls, I saw Terra attempting to climb up the trash bags piled against the wall and Tammy lowered her palm.

Willow shivered, "Well, at least we know what Tammy's power is." She muttered bitterly.

I nodded absentmindedly, searching for a tactic. But Tammy raised her hands again and I didn't have time to think. Any more water and Willow could get sick.

"No!" I cried. Wings pumping me, I threw myself at Tammy and knocked her off-balance, causing her to loose concentration, and I heard the water she'd been gathering trickle away down the grate below.

There was a sharp pain in my shoulder, and a half-rotten apple core bounced off to the ground

"Let her go!" Terra screamed, raising a squishy tomato to launch.

First, I didn't want red rotten tomatoes all over my mostly clean uniform, but I also didn't want to fight these two. I stood up, off of Tammy, which Terra didn't seem to be expecting.

Both girls looked at me mysteriously. I held out a hand to help Tammy up. Tammy glared at my hand, studying my face. Hesitantly, she took it. Before she could judo-flip me, I let go and took a step back.

Willow gasped, hugging herself. "We're not going to take you back to S.T.A.R. Labs." She said, hoping it would set them at ease.

"You're not?" Terra asked, sounding far too trusting.

"Terra, wait," Tammy put her hand out in front of her friend, "Why not?"

Aha, this one was smart.

I looked her in the eyes, "We saw what they were doing to you and the other runaways."

Tammy's arms, crossed rigidly over her chest, fell to her sides.

I walked over to Terra, helping her climb down while Willow explained her story.

"I know how it feels. It's a long story, but...I was once treated like that. I wouldn't wish that on anyone."

"Will you help us rescue the others?" Terra asked, running over to stand by Tammy.

Willow looked at me. I looked at her, then at the runaways.

"We'll try. We will try."

-------

"What were you thinking!?" Nightwing hissed, this close to yelling.

I glared at my younger twin. "You didn't see how they were being treated there."

"No one deserves to be treated like that!" Willow burst in. "I can't believe I work with those monsters." She muttered, clutching a towel around her shoulders.

We stood in the warehouse at Blüdhaven. Tammy, Terra, Willow, and I stood in a row in front of Nightwing. All the team members who stayed this late were beginning to circle around us. This included Red Arrow, who had stopped by for some reason and was helping Willow warm up and get dry again.

Finch and Beast Girl gave tentative waves to the two girls, which Terra returned. Tammy kept staring at the floor. Sarah and Jaime, hand-in-hand, studied her intently, while Beast Boy seemed to be more focused on Terra.