Chapter Twenty-Five- Attack!

March 23, 2016. 21:00
Mount Justice.
~~Emma~~

"That's it. Put your weight into it!"

"Remember it's better to take a few hits rather than to fall off-balance."

"Steady, steady!"

"Good, Mara, good!"

My little protege collapsed on the floor, out of breath. "How do do you do that every day?" She asked between gasps and wheezes.

I gave her shoulder a shove. "I practiced. Built up endurance." I grabbed her hand and pulled her up. "But most importantly, Batman never let me give up. And I won't let you, either. Come on, now, breaktime is done!" I clapped my hands and Mara took off on another four laps around the gym. A round at the balance beam, the uneven bars, pull-ups, push-ups, and the rings.

Twice more around, and I knew she was done. Bruce may have pushed me, but he knew my limits.

"That was good Mara." I handed her a bottle of Gatorade. "You really are improving."

She beamed at me through her sweat and tears, and I let her take a shower break.

"How's it going?" Richard asked as I packed up the leftover granola bars and water bottles.

I smiled and tossed him a Gatorade over my shoulder, "She's getting better." 

"Reminds me of you when you were that age."

I playfully elbowed Richard in the gut, "And Tim reminds me of you."

Richard laughed, but I could tell he agreed. Then suddenly, he waved his hand in front of his nose.

"Something smells like that old casserole Bart found in the back of the fridge. Is that you?"

I sniffed my armpit quickly and nearly fainted. "I guess so," I admitted, burying my face in my chapstick to drive off the scent.

"When you're done, can you and Mara take Leafpaw and Holly back to the mansion with you?" I think that Holly and Jay need a checkup."

He thought? Strange request. And why did Leafpaw need to come? Well, I guessed that Leafpaw would put her kits at ease, and then Willow and Olivia would take care of Lion.

I shrugged, but remained suspicious. "Sure." I didn't bother to keep it out of my voice.

I watched Richard's back as he left. Something seriously wrong with him, and I wanted to know why.

-------

Interrupting BG and BB's movie night, Finch and I collected Leafpaw and Holly. After another demonstration from Rachel on how to hold a cat right, Mara carried Holly to the zeta-tubes and Leafpaw obediently followed.

"Put them in Jay's room, and don't let Holly run through the house." I instructed Mara as Justice joined their company.

"Wait, you're not going with her?" Nightwing asked. Definitely not suspicious.

"No, I've got some research to do." I told him, scratching Justice under his chin in good-bye.

"Recognize: Finch, B20."

"Recognize; Blue Beetle, B23. Impulse, B24. Blur, B25. Brass Beetle, B26."

The moment Mara was gone, the second zeta-tube lit up, bearing four of our teammates.

"Whoo-hoo! Left them in the dust!" Bart cried, speeding up to me and Nightwing.

"Left who in the dust?" I asked.