Chapter Forty-Six- Moving On

July 3, 2016. 13:06.
Watchtower.
~~Willow~~

Beep. Beep. 

Where Am I?

Thump. Thump.

Beep. Beep.

I knew that sound all too well.

Beep. Beep.

What happened?

"You only had to ask..." Pyro hissed gleefully. And with that, my memories rushed back. Pyro's prophecy, The Reach's endgame, Wally's death, and letting Pyro free.

I set her free.

I made the decision.

I hurt Bridget and Bart and Sarah and Flash.

I said those terrible words to Emma. Words that never should have been said.

I did all those things, and in doing them, I regretted nothing.

For years everyone said it wasn't my fault. Now, for once, it was. And nothing anyone could say could change that.

Abruptly, my shoulder screaming in protest, I sat up in bed and threw on the fresh change of clothes on the bedside table. To my left was the door, and on my right lay Bart, Bridget, and Sarah, all with injuries that I had given them.

I couldn't stay here any longer.

"Willow!"

So many conflicting emotions were mixed into her tone, but I recognized the voice anywhere.

"You need to get back in bad, you need to rest!" Emma said, still smiling as she straightened my blankets and pulled down the covers. 

"No."

I felt the searing pain in my shoulder again, and looked at twice-wounded spot. Once by a nameless Reach soldier, and once...by my friend.

Emma froze, her smile wavering. "Come on, you need to rest-"

"I said no!" I shouted.

I wrenched my arm from her grip, causing the pain in my shoulder to flare up again, but I ignored it. 

"Artemis shot me." Emma didn't deny it.

I turned away from her. "I wish she finished it."

How could I have been so stupid? I did just what Pyro had wanted me to do, what Luthor had wanted me to do! I hurt my closest friends, and I doubted they would ever forgive me. 

Emma's bottom lip quivered, and she breathed in deeply, gathering air for the strength she needed to speak.

"Willow Scarlett, don't you ever say another thing like that as long as you live."

The tone in her voice usually made me listen, but not today. 

"Make me." Taking my brown jacket, I shoved past her and made a wild grab for the door. It was locked.

"Please don't go." It was just a whisper, but I heard it as loud as if she'd shouted it in my ear. My hand froze on the doorknob.

I shook my head to clear it. "You don't want me, I'll get someone better to help."   I threw open the door with a forceful kick and ran out into the hall. Only seconds later, Emma was on my tail.

"Willow, please come back!" Her tone was no longer insistent, but pleading. I couldn't face her, I couldn't talk to her. I'd just hurt her again, just like I'd hurt everyone else.