6| History

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

History

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 6: History (Christian's POV)

"You're unbelievable," she said to me, her words dripping with venom and anger while she tried to keep her composure and her voice down. 

"You should know better by now than to challenge me the way you did earlier this morning. After your little stunt, you didn't think I'd let you get away with it, did you?" 

"What stunt? Are you out of your mind?" 

"You don't seem very keen to be working with me, Ms. Declan, should I be concerned?" I lifted a brow at her, standing right in front of her desk while she grabbed the key things that she had to bring with me to my office. 

"You are ridiculous, Mr. Lukov," she said as if it were a fact before throwing a stapler into the small cardboard box sitting on her desk. 

"And you are moving at a snail's pace, Ms. Declan. Speed it up." 

She glared at me before grabbing the lid and putting it on top of the box before using the handles and picking it up. "After you, sir," she spat out. 

I held her gaze before I turned towards the door and walked out, hearing her heels clacking against the floor behind me. I could sense that she was just waiting for a moment alone with me before she snapped and yelled and I couldn't care less.

When I saw that reluctant and grudgeful look on her face this morning, the challenge and daring fire in her eyes when she confidently said we wouldn't be working together, my natural instinct was to challenge it and prove her wrong. Now that I wasn't blinded by the feelings I once had for her, I remembered why I hated her so much the day I met her. Because she countered and opposed everything I said and did. 

Jules was the one person in this world who never failed to give her strong opinions on every little thing I did, even if they weren't asked for. Jules loved to prove a point, she loved to argue if it meant she came out on top, and there wasn't a lot she wasn't willing to do to prove herself right. 

She was determined to come off as a strong-headed and bold woman, and I had to give her credit, she really was. But she never realized how much her stubbornness drove people away. 

I wasn't one to talk, we were strangely similar on the inside but at first glance, we were complete opposites, it's why nobody thought we would last. They were right and I learned that the day after we broke up when Audrey came to tell me, "I told you so." 

The elevator doors slid shut and we both stood side by side in a still silence that felt a lot like the calm before the storm. 

"Why would you ask Natalie to let me work with you?" she questioned. 

"That's not what I asked her and you weren't there so let's not argue about this." 

"No, let's," she scoffed. 

I exhaled, "All right then. Let's. I asked Natalie for someone who she trusted, someone who knew enough about the company to determine a good location for the new office because you know it too that Natalie can't be there every single day with me to look at buildings. She gave me her best choice and for some reason, that's you."