16| Family

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Family

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 16: Family (Christian's POV)

"Yes, Mr. Lukov. I'll drop by your office later today and hand over the contract to you." 

"Very well, Gabriel. Thank you," I said before hanging up and quickly sending out the email I was working on before standing up and heading out of my own office and into Jules's to let her know that instead of lunch, we could sign the contract and get it over with so we could make a solid plan where dinner with her parents was concerned. 

Instead of knocking on the door, I simply pushed it open and walked in, slowing down in my steps when I saw her. 

The back of her chair faced the door but she wasn't in her seat. She was standing, facing the glass window that was right behind her chair, and stood with her arms crossed over her chest, staring ahead at the city skyline. 

As quietly as possible, I shut the door behind me and stayed rooted to one place, tucking my hands into my pockets and watching her silently. 

She moved back, leaning against her desk, and continued to stare ahead while I walked toward her, rounding the desk and taking the spot beside her. She jumped, a bit startled, and glanced at me. "Mr. Lukov?" she asked, going back to staring ahead. 

"Your lunch break is now booked." 

"Why is that?" She stood in front of me now, watching me with annoyance. 

"To go over and sign the contract. It's being drawn up and we'll get it by noon." 

"Already?" she asked in surprise. "Who's making it?" 

"The company lawyer, Gabriel. You met him at a party once." 

She hummed and then nodded lightly, "I remember." 

"I came to remind you," I paused, scanning her face, "that I'm still open to negotiation. If you see something you don't like in the contract, it could be changed upon mutual agreement." 

"You do understand that we don't have a lot of time, right? My parents are waiting for dinner confirmation for you. How can I—" 

"Then confirm for tonight," I cut her off. 

Her brows shot up. "What?" 

"Tell them that we're coming over for dinner tonight, Milaya." 

After contemplating for a beat, she inquired, "And what if the contract isn't signed by today?" 

"Then I... trust that you won't go back on your word and do as promised even if I grant this favor to you before signing a contract." I took a small step forward and she retreated a few quick steps, her back hitting the glass window as she peered up at me, tipping her chin up to meet my eyes. "Am I wrong?" 

She didn't reply and continued to watch me. 

"Should I not trust you, Red?"