24| Lights

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Lights

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 24: Lights (Jules's POV)

"Since you're back to Lukov royalty," Christian smirked, handing me a different file. "Here's your new employment contract. Sign it once you've read over it." 

I warily picked up the file and skimmed through the first few pages. "You've had this made for a while from the looks of it." I looked back at him. "How did you know I'd end up back here?" 

"Intuition? Fate, maybe," he shrugged. "Once I saw you again at The Bookmark, I knew—" 

"That's I'd come back?" I huffed, dropping the file on the table. 

"No," he replied, shaking his head, "but that I wanted you back. You out of all people know that once I want something, I don't stop till I have it. Isn't that right, Milaya?" 

Without responding, I stared at him. 

"You get the same job and the same salary as you had the first time around." 

My brows shot up in surprise. "And I don't have to interview for the job again? You'll just hand it to me?" I scoffed. 

"You would have to give an interview if someone else already had the job but as I've told you before, nobody could replace you. The job is yours, Red." 

Sighing softly, I grabbed the file and nodded faintly. "Okay. I'll sign it and give it back to you." 

He hummed in approval. "Oh, and one more thing. Now that you're back to work, you know damn well that the workload you had here was more than the workload you had at The Bookmark. So—" 

"I'm prepared, Christian. I can handle it." 

He watched me with a certain twinkle in his eyes. Admiration and adoration if I wasn't mistaken. "I know you can. I'm just heeding a warning." 

"I... appreciate it. I think," I mumbled hesitantly. "I should get to work." With that, I spun around, heading to the door. 

"Jules," he called out. 

Slowly, I turned back. "Yes?" 

"Dinner tonight, don't forget." 

"I don't remember agreeing to that," I shrugged. 

"Are you declining the invitation?" 

"It didn't sound like an invitation." 

He bit down a tiny smile. "I won't beg." 

"Maybe not now. But we both know you look better on your knees," I smirked, tracing the edge of the file in my hands. 

Amusement swirled in his eyes as he watched me, a certain gleam to him that I couldn't exactly decode. "My apartment at eight. Don't be late," he said with the faintest grin.