7| Surprise

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Surprise

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 7: Surprise (Jules's POV)

"Thank you," I said instead of Christian to the agent who just showed us around the final building on today's list. 

We saw six buildings and not one of them met all of Natalie's requirements. The day had gone to hell. Not only did we waste all our hours looking at buildings that didn't meet our expectations, but Christian and I argued nonstop about every little thing we could possibly argue about. Which route he should be taking to get us to each location faster, what we should and shouldn't be saying to these agents, what does and doesn't meet Natalie's demands, which building could and couldn't be improved, everything. 

We couldn't seem to agree upon any one tiny thing, every conversation led to an argument, and the reason why wasn't exactly a secret. I couldn't believe how it felt like I'd gone back five years and this was my first time meeting him because we sure as hell argued like it was. 

When I wordlessly stopped at the sidewalk instead of following him to his car, he stopped barely one step ahead of me, immediately noticing that I wasn't walking beside him anymore. "What?" he snapped, turning around to face me. 

"What?" I bit back. "My working hours are over. I'm going home. There's nothing I need to grab from your office. I'll get a cab home." 

He stared at me for a minute. "I could just drop you off and you know it." 

"So you can find out where I live now?" 

His lips twitched and he glanced down at his shoes while keeping his hands tucked into his pockets and then moving closer, standing right in front of me. "I already know where you live. Audrey blurts it out quite often." 

"Oh, did you make a note of that? In your little diary maybe?" 

"Maybe," he smirked. 

I rolled my eyes. "I'll get a cab." 

"Suit yourself, Red," he responded before walking back a few steps and then turning his back on me to head to his car where he climbed into the driver's seat before smoothly driving out of the parking lot. 

Not too long after that, I got a taxi and reached my apartment building, heading upstairs, getting into an elevator, hoping the doors would close on anybody trying to join me. 

They were just about to when I heard someone exclaim, "Hold the elevator!" 

Instinctively, I held down the button until someone came into view, it was a girl and a guy around my age or maybe only slightly older. They got in and while she chose to say nothing, the guy thanked me for holding the doors open for them. 

"No problem," I replied as the doors shut. 

"I'm Zach, by the way," he said. 

"Jules," I said, "nice to meet you." 

"You too. We just moved in actually, you're the first person we've met," he chuckled.