Chapter 16: 2015.

~Ian's POV~

Christmas had passed, Boxing Day had passed. What was next? Answer: New Years.

I had been invited to a big party, being hosted by Kalel. Anthony says she is the best party hostess, apparently she has the tendency to be a perfectionist, therefore making the parties perfect as well. Also, considering she has jobs as a tattoo artist, fashion designer assistant and an occasional pizza delivery girl, she makes some good money, making her house fantastically decorated and big enough for these parties without too much invasion of personal space.

I am semi-reluctant to go, considering just how great the last two parties I've been to have gone. Sense the sarcasm?

But my reluctance is overwhelmed by the excitement of finally having more than two friends to celebrate New Years with. I feel special when I spend time with my friends. Gaming with everyone. Laughing till' the tears were running down my face. The nerds that we all were complimented each other perfectly as well, it makes me feel lucky that I have such great friends to spend my days and nights with.

Despite my tentativeness toward this party, here I was. Outside the door of Kalel's house, already hearing the pounding music from within. A small pink sticky note stuck on the door had: Just come right in:) scrolled across it in pretty girl writing.

I adjusted my black sweater, the one Anthony had given me at Christmas, and quickly opened the door to escape the chill. I dodged people immediately, searching for my friends within the crowds.

I found them grouped together in the back corner of the living room. David gave me a pat on the back as a welcome. "Hey Ian, crazy party right?" He said, practically yelling to be heard over the music.

I just nodded, listening in as my friends chatted among themselves. Then, Mari brought up the dreaded subject. "Have you guys got anyone you're planning to kiss at midnight?"

"Yeah, my girlfriend." That was David speaking, I've met his girlfriend a few times. She's awesome and so, so nice.

We laughed at his obvious answer. Anthony glanced over his shoulder. I followed his glance to where it landed on Kalel. I didn't see what he did but she sent him a big smile and a thumbs-up, before continuing to chat with a few of her friends.

He turned back to us with a smirk on his face, "I've got someone in mind." 

Oh.

I guess he means her, Kalel. I know they used to date, but I thought it was in the past, as in, no longer a thing. I couldn't help the small prick in my heart, just friends... Yeah, of course.

~

Midnight drew closer, causing me to watch the countdown on the T.V carefully. Two hours. One hour. Half an hour. I sighed. My god, time is going both too fast and all too slow. My friends all abandoned me, searching for someone to kiss or to talk to. I know they didn't mean to leave me like this, it just kinda happened.

When there were only about twenty minutes till' midnight left I made my escape, to the oasis of a backyard. There were flowers everywhere. Lilacs, daisies, tulips, carnations, buttercups and roses upon roses. And, because we lived in California, they weren't dead like they would be in most places, a few were wilted but they looked pretty as fuck still.

I walked towards a glorious rose bush, bursting with the red blooms. I reached a hand down to touch one, accidentally pricking my finger on a thorn in the process. "Ouch!" I exclaimed, withdrawing my hand hastily. "Smooth, very smooth." I turned, somehow not surprised that Anthony had followed me out here. What did surprise me was that he wasn't drunk off his ass right now.

"Oh you know me, smooth as chunky peanut butter." He laughed and I smiled, happy that he found me funny.

We settled into a comfortable silence as I gathered a few buttercups and daisies, plus some grass strands, and settled on a patch of still somewhat green grass- weaving the flowers and grass into something that Anthony soon recognized as a flower crown. He watched with intense attention as I crafted the pretty little thing, as Melanie had taught me how to do last Summer.

When I was satisfied, I stood up and dusted off my jeans with one hand, holding the flower crown with the other.I stepped close to Anthony and stretched my arms upwards to place the crown onto his hair carefully. He laughed as I took a step back to admire both my work on the flower crown and the person wearing it. I nodded in approval. It added this air of innocence to Anthony that was usually covered up by his attitude, I liked it. I liked him, and I knew it. Not that I would admit it aloud, but it doesn't hurt anyone to admit it in my head. Right?

I checked my watch, seeing the time as 11:55. I didn't want Anthony to go but I knew he would want to find Kalel before the clock strikes twelve.

"Don't you need to go inside?" I finally asked.

He tilted his head. "What for?''

I scratched the back of my neck in awkwardness. "Ya' know, to find Kalel."

"Kalel? Why would I be looking for her?" He questioned, seeming genuinely curious.

"I'm not an idiot, I know you're gonna kiss her at midnight."

And then he laughed. He frickin' laughed. "I'm not going to kiss her! We broke up a long time ago." And then his chuckles subsided. "And, plus, I have someone else I want to kiss."

"Well don't you want to go find them now then, before it's too late?"

He rolled his eyes. "I already found them a while ago. He was reaching for a flower," he paused to bend and daintily pluck a rose from the bush next to us, "but the beautiful guy pricked his hand reaching for the beautiful flower." He finished quietly, reaching a hand forward to place the rose behind my ear.

It felt as if my whole face flushed red. Dan may have been right at Christmas, I really am oblivious at times. We heard the people inside begin to count down from ten.

Ten.

He grabbed me by the waist, my hands connecting behind his neck right after.

Nine.

Our eyes stayed connected as we leaned closer.

Eight.

Ever closer.

Seven.

Our noses touch.

Six.

Our foreheads bump together, slight pain.

Five.

A quickly muttered apology.

Four.

Try again, careful this time.

Three.

Eyes shut, our hearts beating fast.

Two.

No pulling away this time.

One.

New Years.

A soft connecting of the lips. No tongue, no roughness. Just the gentle and sweet kiss that lasted several seconds.

We pulled away, eyes still shut for a few moments as our foreheads rested against each other. I smiled, leaning back to look into his eyes, noticing the flower crown still sitting atop his ruffled hair. "Happy New Years, Anthony."

He pulled me closer, into a tight hug. "Happy New Years Ian, here's to 2015."

A.N.: Sorry for the slightly shorter chapter, did the fluffy kiss make up for it?^o^

Stay Awesome, See Ya' Next Time<3