Chapter 27: Jealousy.

~Ian's POV~

Jealousy. It's like a disease. It can be toxic to a relationship that isn't completely stable on its feet yet. And I was experiencing it.

Anthony and I had been on two dates by the start of February, but neither of us had asked the other just yet "will you be my boyfriend?" Why rush when there was still so much time to get completely comfortable with each other?

But, something was eating at me. And no, it wasn't some rabid animal, it was jealousy. Everywhere Anthony and I went I saw a lot of people, men and women, checking him out, or flirting, or winking or.. okay I think you get the point here.

We had decided not to show public displays of affection, for good reasons, but that was a problem as well. The no kissing or hand holding made everyone think we were just good friends as they hit on him. And he seemed oblivious to all of it until I pointed it out one afternoon.

We were sat on a bench in the busy park, the very same from our first date, just chatting and playing little stupid card games with the deck Anthony had brought along with him.

Go Fish seemed to be Anthony's personal favorite considering we've been playing for twenty minutes now. "Ian do you have any..fours?"

I handed over the card I had before gesturing over my shoulder with my thumb. "That girl just checked you out."

"What? You weren't even looking up from your cards," he argued. 

"He just checked you out too," I said while nodding towards a teenage guy across the park who wasn't so secretly watching Anthony.

"Come on Blue Eyes, don't be ridiculous-"

"I'm not being ridiculous," I mumbled as I sorted through my cards. "Do you have any sixes?"

"Go fish. And you are, no one's checking me out," he grumbled back as he watched me grab a card from the top of the deck.

"Everyone is, well except for that old couple and that family and maybe a few forty-year-old people. But yeah, I'm not being ridiculous nor am I being unreasonable."

"Got any twos? And I think I would have noticed if all these people were checking me out, don't you think?"

"Go fish. And no, because you're apparently blind," I unhappily stated as I watched him grab a card and raise an eyebrow at me incredulously.

"I actually have perfect vision, thank you very much. And why does it matter if people check me out anyway?"

My mouth gaped open. "Seriously? Why shouldn't it matter? And a lot of them are much better looking then me," I said while mumbling the last part under my breath.

"I heard that, don't be so self-conscious," he watched my reaction. "I'm serious!" He added as he saw me start to laugh.

I wiped a fake tear from my face. "Nice joke there. But guess what? That girl walking by almost tripped over her own feet because she was looking at you instead of where she was going."

"Hey, is that.. jealousy I hear?" He said while cupping a hand over his ear.

"No!" Yes. "I'm not jealous!" Yes I am.

"Got any jacks? And you totally are dude."

I handed over the card. "I just don't get how you wouldn't notice all these people watching you. I do get it though, it's hard not to look at someone so attractive when they're right in front of you."

He snorted. "You're one to talk! I think you're stunning."

I laughed bitterly, not quite believing his words. "Yeah, thanks for the compliment but honestly? Have you looked in the mirror lately? I think when we're out together like this people think I'm your ugly friend that you only spend time with out of pity." I knew he was about to speak so I lifted his hand up with mine, "like god-dammit, even your hands are better looking than mine." And I meant it to be a joke, but upon further examination I discovered that I was, in fact, correct. His hands were nicer than mine.