[5] Indigo

Indigo

«»«»«»«»
A U B R E Y
«»«»«»«»

Fear: it was the second emotion I felt following the giddiness that aroused in the presence of my mate, but I didn't understand why it's talons gripped me so fiercely.

       The man is as charming as he is handsome and as fit as he is witty. The twinkling in his amber eyes as we chatted away about lighthearted nonsense enraptured me with every passing second. Every pull of his lips made my own reciprocate, and every bolstered laugh mustered up a chuckle of my own. It was like breathing in the salty, cool air by the sea after being stuck prisoner in a stuffy house for weeks.

       Being with Luca was the calm that followed the storm that unraveled the last bits of thread that was my life. Despite every hardship I've ever faced in my 18 years plagued on this Earth, being with Luca just felt...easy.

"I gotta pee," I blurted out in the middle of Luca's tale about how he met his best friend and future Beta.

       The dark-haired, olive man blinked rapidly at my interruption before another one of his contagious laughs rang in my eardrums.

"Don't scare anyone else in there with your screaming," he smirked at me.

"Oh hardy har." I mocked him childishly with a roll of my eyes before jumping out of my seat. Before I could walk away, a calloused hand tugged at my arm, holding me in my place. I turned around to face my mate. At first glance he looked apprehensive but another smirk quickly adorned his face.

"Seriously, though—don't cower away in the bathroom—you're wasting a perfectly good toilet." His tone was teasing, but those amber eyes molted the longer they stared into mine.

Please, don't run away, his eyes seemed to plead to my own. I gulped before looking away with an airy laugh. "I'm two seconds away from pissing myself, Luca." The lie tasted bitter on my tongue.

His eyes searched through my brown ones for reassurance, and I tensed up slightly under his investigative gaze. His hand slipped away from my arm, and I couldn't help but feel cold from the sudden lack of touch.

       "Okay," he shot me a small smile after his evaluation.

       I gave a quick nod before scurrying over to the bathroom without another word. I could feel Luca's heated stare burning the back of my head as I rushed past the bathroom door—practically stumbling inside in the process—and I quickly locked myself back in the stall Luca found me in.

This is too good to be true...

I could feel my fingers going numb as my hands began to tremble. I ran my unsteady hands through my curls as I forced my eyes shut and focused on evening my breath. A wave of dizziness washed over me, and I leaned an arm against the wall of the bathroom stall with a stumble before glancing over at the lock.

       I gotta get out of here.

       'Aubrey,' Amazon forced her way through the connection I'd kept locked the entire night—making my head pound in the process—and I winced from the sudden intrusion. The wolf's presence startled me enough to distract me from the alcohol-induced panic attack I was having.