Chapter 9 ~ Maybe I'm the Monster

Sapphire's P.O.V

When we arrived at the pack, those that were held hostage were immediately sent to the infirmary to check for dehydration and malnutrition. Because there was so many of them, they barely got fed; when they did, it was only enough to ration off small portions for up to three days. Luca and I separated from the group of freed prisoners and left them with the rest of the pack members to attend to their needs and to help them adjust. Aubrey's mother made sure to watch over Noah as he was being taken cared of. The little boy still wanted nothing to do with me. I fucked up really bad.

The guilt didn't lessen and especially not when Luca urgently dragged me off to his study. When we arrived, he locked the door behind him and crossed his arms with a pointed look.

"Do you want to explain what the hell just happened back there?"

"I'm sorry," I sneered. "I was under the impression that I left my father behind in the fiery pits of hell. Pardon me if i'm mistaken." Of course I was going to ignore the severity of his question by combating it with sarcasm. After all, I didn't necessarily even have an answer for myself to be honest.

Luca sent a pointed gaze my way and I sighed before wiping my face with my hands - hands that have long since been rid of the evidence of my breakdown. "I don't know okay! One moment I was slicing the guys throat, for obvious reasons, and the next thing I know I get this very intense desire to-to-" Soon enough my stuttering deadpanned to confusion. I didn't know how to put the situation into words that made sense.

Luca simply sighed. "I think I know something that just might help us." Luca walked towards his book shelf and pulled out a black book. Ories: The Devil's Demons, it read in red ink. My eyebrows furrowed in shock and confusion. How the hell did werewolves of all creatures manage to get a book filled with all the secrets about our kind?

"Where the hell did you get that?" I questioned before ripping the book out of his hands. "These are sacred texts and information like this cannot fall into the hands of just anyone. Especially not you earthly beings." My lip naturally curled up at the thought of such lowly creatures knowing all the ins and outs of Ories.

"This used to be my father's study. To be honest I never knew of the book's existence until this study became mine. I used the book to help Aubrey out when she was first dealing with your presence. Don't you remember?"

I furrowed my brows in confusion. Those days were pretty blurry. It was the beginning of my awakening within Aubrey so there are a bunch of gaps in my memory. One thing I definitely couldn't forget is seeing the look on Jerry's face when I almost killed him during our first encounter. Aubrey spent most of her time repressing me into the back of her mind, so it wasn't much of a surprise that there are some gaps in my memories.

"Well it doesn't matter anyway. All that matters is that this book should definitely have something in here that'll help us understand what is going on with you." Luca said as he began flipping through the contents of the book.

"Alright," He leaned closer to me so that I could read the contents of the book alongside him. "I think i found something."

The Relinquisation, the chapter read.

"The Reliquisation occurs when the Inner Demon's host finally reliquishes all power, giving it to the Inner Demon, allowing it to take complete control of the host's body. The relinquisation is a process that mostly occurs when the host is severly injured or highly overwhelmed and has it's guard down low enough for the Inner Demon to gain access to the forefront of the host's mind. The Relinquisation period can prove to be beneficial for the host if, and only if, the host is still conscious in the back of the Inner Demon's mind. If the host is completely repressed and is unconscious, that is when problems begin to arise.