Chapter 8 ~ Inner Hunger

SAPPHIRE'S P.O.V

"It all started back when Reginald had us all held as his prisoners in a warehouse. We all had our duties to him. We helped him distribute illegal drugs and trafficked human beings to places all over the mundane world. He's even sold Wolfsbane to hunters in return for protection from them." The witch began.

"I remember the day Aubrey joined us. She looked liked she was about 11 or 12, very young. Reginald was very attached to her. He had her become one of his prostitutes. I'm pretty sure he even r-raped her a couple times too." Luca's wolf growled at the fact, and I saw his eyes begin to change colors.

I rubbed my hand on his arm before leaning up to kiss him briefly. "Down, Alpha. Don't go killing the witch now we still need her." When I felt him begin to calm down I turned back towards the witch. "Continue."

"She was sold to humans buyers. They mostly consisted of the hunters that gave Reginald protection; the others were sick, perverted men with lots of money and power in the Human Realm. Humans can be even sicker than us Supernatural creatures at times." The witch shuddered. "I always felt bad for her but what could I do? We were all Reginald's pawns and no one wanted to get on his bad side. We all had someone we loved threatened by him so we did everything he told us to." The witch had a pitiful look of regret and guilt on her face, and I simply crossed my arms. She better feel like shit after everything she's helped that beast accomplish, I thought with a scowl.

"One day, Aubrey came back sobbing after one of her clients. I thought maybe this one was a bit overwhelming considering the fact that I heard she had to pleasure a trio this time around. Turns out Reginald killed someone close to her. Suddenly Reginald's empire began crumbling. There was a whole investigation that took place in the Human world, and the next thing we all knew he was in jail. Suddenly we were all free. I couldn't believe that after all those years of being one of his little slaves I was finally free." The witch's eyes began to fill with tears and I tried to hide the scowl that was about to appear on my face.

Pathetic.

"Aubrey became sort of like a savior to all of us at that point. It was her connections that got him arrested and suddenly with no one to run his ring we all ran for the hills." I saw a glimpse of content her eyes and tilted my head as I observed her behavior. Earthly beings have such fleeting senses of emotion. How peculiar.

"Soon after I was free I fell in love and gave birth to my daughter, Aurora, 3 years ago." The witch finally cracked and the tears shed down her cheeks. "My husband and I are both warlocks so we lived secluded lives in a cabin in the woods with our daughter. Everything was going amazing. I finally had my life back. I mean yeah, occasionally, I would wake up from horrible night terrors but at least when I woke up the nightmare didn't follow me. If only I knew at the time that it eventually would have." More tears escaped from her eyes and I sighed from annoyance.

"Can you explain your story without crying every 2 seconds in between? That would be great." Luca elbowed me in the rib cage, and I glared at him with my fiery eyes. He simply pinned me with a glare of his own and his defiance to my blazing gaze threw me off guard. I finally looked away with a huff.

Stupid mate.

The witch simply sniffled before continuing in with her story. "Then all of sudden, every time when I left the house, especially alone, I would have this strange feeling of being watched. I brushed it off multiple times, blaming the mental trauma I went through working for Reginald for my paranoia. Turns out one of Reginald's men, Charles, had been following me all along and threatened to kill my family if I didn't help Reginald as soon as he got out of jail." She sniffled.