[7] Granddaughter

Granddaughter

«»«»«»«»
A U B R E Y
«»«»«»«»

"I said, what the hell is that damn rogue doing in my pack?" Jerry slammed a fist on his desk. I had to hold back the scoff that threatened to surface from his obnoxious theatrics.

"And I said, what are you doing here?" Luca rebutted. "I thought you were going away for the weekend to discuss expanding the convenience store with our business partners?"

My body froze at the mention of the store I recalled was nowhere near ready for a reopening—let alone an expansion. At the mention of the convenience store, Jerry's icy glare skated over to me.

"There was a change of plans," He gritted out through a clenched jaw. "That rogue you foolishly brought into our lands is the reason why I'm still here: to clean up her mess."

Luca turned towards me with his eyebrows scrunched in confusion, and I tilted my head down in shame. I didn't want to see the adoring look in his eyes—a look engraved even behind his current anger and confusion—morph into a permanent hatred once my sins were revealed.

"I told you, you think too highly of me, Luca," I whispered into the tense atmosphere.

"Aubrey," Luca whispered back as he approached me.

Tears welled up in my eyes as Luca grabbed me by the chin. "What happened?"

"What happened is that rogue robbed and destroyed the convenience store! Thousands of dollars of products wasted and thousands more need to be spent to cover the damages." Jerry stood with both hands leaning on the desk as he roared his frustrations. I shamefully pulled my face out of Luca's hold to avoid his reaction. "She was rightfully banned from her pack for being an unruly delinquent, and now you've gone and brought the perpetrator into our lands like a damn idiot!"

"Enough!" Luca growled and took a menacing steps toward his father's desk. "Aubrey is my mate—I don't care what she did—I won't continue to stand here and listen as you blatantly disrespect her."

My head whipped over to my mate who glared down into his father's heated gaze with hands firmly clenched by his sides. I stood wordlessly behind my mate as I watched the Alphas' standoff—the shock from Luca's words pinning my feet down to the spot where I stood. Luca has begun to show me in these few hours together that if no one else was on my side, he was still willing to be on my team—even when I've clearly upset him.

"Your mate?" Jerry growled as he glared at me—as if I truly planned this whole ordeal. "I will not allow a rogue to take over the pack that I've worked so diligently to build; you will not sully the Knight legacy with the likes of her."

Luca slammed his own hands down onto the desk as he got into his father's face. "Well, that's not up to you, now is it?" He growled. "The Moon Goddess chose Aubrey as my mate—so she will be this pack's next Luna—and we will rule side by side whether you like it or not. My twenty-first is around the corner, and I've already found my mate. Your time ruling is nearly over, and soon, I will be calling the shots."

"Over my dead body," the older Alpha sneered.

"That can be arranged," Luca growled.

Jerry furiously made his way around the desk. "I will have that damn rogue banned from these lands before the rest of this pack even catches wind of her being your mate." He retorted as he shouldered past Luca.