Chapter 9

Note: Art by Jaguar24

POV: Grove

The camp was decked out with decorations with a bunch of colors and lots of food. The food there was a lot as Grove requested for there to be a feast. Despite being raised by Wolfwings, he still had an appetite for a Mudwing.

Snow was in between him and Dara as they watched everyone finish putting everything together.

The night's air was cool, but it wasn't chilly. The ground was still warm from the day. Grove wondered if the party would be better in the forest or in the palace back home.

"Happy birthday Dara." Snow said to the wolfwing with a kind voice.

There was something about Snow that made his heart melt, but he couldn't understand what it was. Maybe, he'll ask Dara later.

"Thank you," Dara said in a nervous tone.

Grove was about to speak when a few Wolfwings came up to him. They did a slight bow. He hated when wolves did this. Grove understood the whole concept of Royalty, and as Delta, he knew they had to respect him. However, he prefers if they treat him like everyone else.

"Happy birthday Cedar!" A gray great Dane wolfwing said to him. This was Lucky. Lucky was stuck in the mud. He had a thing for rules and wouldn't loosen up even for a bit. The Wolfwing bowed to them before leaving for the moose, and the deer. We were careful not to hunt any wolves on the account of Snow.

"Yeah, happy birthday Rust!" Said another male wolfwing that he couldn't remember the breed. He believed it was a retriever as this one had golden fur.

Grove couldn't remember his name as the wasn't one of the few guards that came from Strongspaw island with them. Dara and Grove have only been on Pyrrhia for about a few months. So they were still getting their hand at it.

"Thank you, but as the birthday boy. I say no bowing for tonight." Grove chuckled as the Wolfwing walked over to the food.

"I thought your name was Grove?" Snow said, dumbfounded.

Grove looked at her, and he thought he would melt right there if it wasn't for Dara glaring at him. He coughed before speaking. "It's a nickname. Only Dara, and now I guess call me that. My real name is Russets Cedar." Grove explained as he looked into her eyes. They were like little jewels.

"My brother called me Little Star." Snow confessed, which startled him.

He smiled but didn't know why. Everything about Snow made him smile. However, Grove didn't know this feeling. He never had crushes before, and Dara was like a sister.

"So, may I ask why no one is saying happy birthday to you?" Snow asked Dara in a sad voice.

*WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!!!* Grove cried in his mind at the sad sound of Snow.

Dara shrugged. "I don't like the attention. So, Grove and I celebrate our birthdays together." The brown, black wolfwing stared out in the distance as if searching for an excuse to leave the party. However, not many wolves greeted them. They were mainly at the food table, dancing, or talking among themselves.

"Well, mine is more of a Hatching day for me, but I used the term birthday," Grove added with a sly smirk. Dara gave him a look, which felt like he was going to get a lecture later.

"Wait, you were adopted in this culture, weren't you?" Snow figured out. Her eyes went wide, which Grove thought were more like a lake or a pond than gemstones.

"How you managed to figure that out is beyond me," Dara said, sarcastic, but Snow didn't appear to mind. "You pups have fun. I am going to get something to eat. Grove, Snow, do you guys want anything?"