Chapter 26

POV: Grove, of the Wolfwings (Mudwing)

The sun was a bit too hot for his liking. It made Grove's scales feel dry and crusty. However, the Mudwing never complains about it. Or about any weather condition.

After all, he was a Delta for the royal family.

Well, to be more accurate. Grove was a Delta assigned to the eldest daughter, Beta Dara, but anyone, within the palace, knows that he was that qualified.

Russet Cedar got the job mainly because of Dara's begging. Asher finally caved because the Wolfwing Princess had asked on her twelfth birthday.

Asher always grants her pups one birthday wish. Unless it was something she could not do or would hurt anybody. The Queen generally says yes to anything.

After that day, Grove was assigned his job and hardly left Dara's side. At first, the Mudwing was slight concern about the Wolfwing behavior might change, but it never faltered.

The reason, why Dara did not need a Delta was that she was classified as a Huntress, which meant little could take her down. Half of the time, it was the Beta that handled her own while sending her Delta to protect the others.

However, the real reason why Dara wanted a Delta without needing one was to have an excuse to have her best friend by her side. Grove remembered that day when she turned twelve. His heart swelled at the feeling of being both needed and wanted.

Long story short, Asher treats him like a nephew as a result. 

Despite Snow being here for about two months, she hardly speaks about her past life. Grove would not say she was keeping secrets from them, but more like avoidance. Both the Beta and the Delta knew by now that the Angel would change the subject whenever too many questions were asked.

Snow only felt comfortable with bits of information for now. The one topic that was allowed was talking about Calamitous, her brother.

It still felt strange listening to Snow talking about her life before here, but it felt good that she was starting to feel safe. The Mudwing knew that the Angel was not alone in feeling lost and scared. All it takes is a few good friends.

Grove found himself staring at Dara, who stared back in confusion. He did a slight nod and ear twitch to tell her everything was okay.

*I miss Sami and Samu. I wondered what they were up to.* Grove thought as he found himself looking at Snow. *They would love her.* He stared at her. *Like I do.* The Mudwing felt startled at the thought but continued to smile. He heard a slight thud and knew it was Dara trying to keep his focus. *Right, focus on the mutt.* The way that Snow speaks about Feather made his heart both sink and leap. He was saddened, but grateful that Feather was Angel's, first love.

The brown Mudwing watched as the Wild/Fur/Wolf sat on his hunches with a blank expression. He appeared more bored than anything.

"Neat." Is all that the dark green mutt said with a look that made Grove's blood boil?

Neat is not the word that the Mudwing would have used. It would be 'fantastic,' 'amazing,' 'wonderful,' or along those lines. However, he guessed that those words he would described Snow.

Snow looked unaffected by the comment and matched it with a shrug. She does not really care what others think.

Must be nice.

Grove turned his gaze slightly to Zagi, who was on the other side of Snow. He noticed Zagi muttering something under his breath but could not hear what it might be. However, the Mudwing knew that black rain/sky hybrid growl at the end of it.