𝟎𝟗𝟏

"𝙳𝚎𝚊𝚕𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚆𝚒𝚝𝚑 𝙸𝚝"
ᴀᴜᴛʜᴏʀ
𝕞𝕠𝕟𝕕𝕒𝕪 𝕞𝕠𝕣𝕟𝕚𝕟𝕘
𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘱𝘳𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘪𝘴𝘴' 𝘢𝘱𝘢𝘳𝘵𝘮𝘦𝘯𝘵

     "YOU READY for your first day back?" Emily asks as she finishes the last of her breakfast.

"Not really," Noah mumbles as she watches her cereal float around in the milk.

"How come?" Emily questions.

"I just wanna sleep in," Noah says and the mother can see the teen's shoulders slump.

"I know, honey," Emily says as she kisses Noah's temple, "But it'll be the weekend before you know it."

"I guess," Noah shrugs as Emily stands to put her dishes away. The teen gets up and pours her now soggy cereal down the garbage disposal.

"There's this new pizza place that just opened," Emily mentions as she grabs her purse and Noah grabs her school bag, "I can pick you up from school and we can have a late lunch?" The mother suggests as she opens the front door and allows Noah to walk through first.

"Sure," Noah replies as she walks outside.

Emily sighs as she locks the front door behind them. Yet another short answer from the teen.

The past couple of days has been strange. Emily can tell Noah is shutting down and has not been acting like herself. Noah has been zoning out, isolating herself, and barely eating. Emily does not know the root of the sudden change, but she hopes some bonding time will help.

The drive to school feels long as the silence seems to make time drag out.  Noah stares out the window while Emily glances over at her every now and then.  Once Emily pulls into the carpool circle, Noah grabs her bag and opens the door.  The teen steps out and turns around to face her mother.

"See ya," Noah says and shows a tight-lipped smile.

"Bye," Emily replies, "Have a good day!"

"You too," Noah adds before closing the door.  She walks up to the school building, Emily watching her with a slight frown.

The teen walks down the hallway, putting in her headphones to block out the obnoxious hum of high schoolers.  She wonders how everyone in these hallways is considered her peers.  She never thought she fit in with people her age.

"Noah."

Noah hears a muffled voice behind her music.  A tap also comes to her shoulder, making her move one side of her headphones from her ear.  She turns around and sees Parker trying to catch up to her with a wide smile.

"Hey," The boy beams.

"Hi."

"You okay?"

"Fine," Noah replies and walks up to her locker.

"C'mon, obviously you're not," Parker chuckles as he leans against the locker next to Noah's.

"How's your Mom?" The girl asks.

"She's good," Parker answers, "Getting up and doing everything she used to.  I think she's even getting over my Dad a little."

"That's good," Noah notes, "Well, the first part.  I don't know how you feel about the getting over your dad part."

"It's alright," Parker shrugs, "I think I'm over him too."

"Glad you're moving on," Noah grins as she slams her locker shut.  She turns to walk down the hallway and can sense Parker following her.