Chapter 5

3 years later:

Veera's POV:

It's been 3 years since I left Bangkok and came to New York. As my dad said it's a privilege to be part of the famous NYU. Initially I felt so lonely and out of place as the city is so fast moving and the language was a barrier. I knew English but it was hard for me to follow the lectures due to the speed. Later I started recording the lectures and listening to it repeatedly to understand the gist. I joined English classes to improve my language. With time, things changed and I made new friends and my English also improved. Now, 3 years later I can say that I am a proper New Yorker. My course got completed in 2 years but I stayed back accepting internship in one of the biggest Engineering firms in New York.

Even though so many changes have happened in my life, the one thing that hasn't changed is my feelings for him. It's not like I never tried. I did go out for dates and have relationships with few guys and girls but things never worked out for me. Finally I gave up and decided to leave everything to destiny and just concentrate on my career.

I just arrived home after a hectic day in the office. I just wanted to take bath and sleep but my phone started ringing as soon as I got out of bathroom. I am shocked to see my sisters name displayed on the screen. It's 5 am in the morning in Bangkok and Waan never gets up so early.

Veera: Hello Waan

Waan: Hi P. How are you?

Veera: I am good. Why are you calling so early in the morning? Is everything alright there?

Waan: Everything is fine. I just wanted to talk to you.

Veera: Oh, okay. How are you Waan?

Waan: I am fine. I wanted to tell you something.

Veera: I am listening.

Waan: I am getting married.

Veera: Huh

Waan: I am getting married to PTanet in 2 weeks and I.want you here with me.

Veera could feel a tightening in his chest as he heard that his sister is getting married to the love of his life.

Waan: P, are you there? Can you hear me? Hello..

Veera quickly composes himself.

Veera: I am here Waan. I am just surprised by the news. Congratulations to both of you.

Waan: Thank you P. You will come, right?

Veera: Yes, I will be there for you Waan.

Waan: Thank you P. Thank you so much.

Eventhough Waan was calling to give a good news, she seem to be bothered about something.

Veera: Waan, are you okay? Why do you sound so low? You are happy with marriage, right?

Waan: Ofcourse, I am happy. It's nothing serious P. I have a slight cold and fever. I am just tired.

Veera: Okay. Take care of yourself Waan.

Waan: I will.

They talk for some more time and end the call. Veera drops the phone on the table and just drops down on the bed. He looks at the ceiling as tears flow down his eyes.

Veera: So, this how it feels to be dead inside while you are still breathing. It feels so numb like something is dead inside me. I knew this day will come in my life but nothing or no words can prepare me for this pain I am feeling right now. I wish he had never come into my life, I wish I never fell in love with him, I wish my life was not so pathetic. I.....

Veera hides his face in his pillow and sobs like a child. He falls asleep crying.
Next morning he wakes up and takes a leave from office as he was in no state to meet anyone. It takes him two days to get hold of his feelings and get back to normal. He immerses himself in work until it's the day for him to take a flight back to Thailand. He takes one week leave from his office as he didn't want to stay in Bangkok for long.

At the airport:

Veera is feeling nervous as he is going home after a long time. He had so many chances to go home during his 3 years in New York but he always avoided it. He was afraid of facing Tanet if he go home. Now, he is terrified thinking about facing him again as he know this may be the last time he can think of him as his love because soon he will be his sister's husband. It marks the end of his one sided love story. His hands unknowingly caressed the locket lying on his chest. He slowly removes the chain and looks at it with tears in his eeyes.He then puts it away, deep inside his bag, away from his sight. Soon it's time for his flight. He boards the flight and goes to sleep immediately as he didn't want to think about anything anymore.

At the Bangkok airport:

Veera's flight landed 15 minutes back. He just finished his security checks and is waiting for his bag when his phone starts ringing. He checks his phone and see Kla's name displayed on the phone.

Veera: Hey

Kla: Hi. Have you finished the security check?

Veera: Hmm. Just collected the luggage. I am coming out right now.

Kla: Okay.

Veera ends the call and walks towards the exit.  He see Kla waiting for him outside. But what surprised him was his father standing next to Kla. He expected dad and mom to be busy with the wedding arrangements.

Veera: Dad, what are you doing here?

Narong does not say anything and just hugs his son tight. Veera returns the hug eventhough he felt something is wrong. Veera's dad breaks the hug and looks at his son with an unreadable expression. Veera could sense a tension  on his face.

Veera: What's wrong dad?

Veera's dad: Nothing. Let's go home. We will talk once we are home.

Veera: Okay

Veera looks at Kla curiously but he keeps a straight face. He takes his luggage and keeps it in the car. They then head towards Li house in silence.

At the Li House:

Veera, his dad and Kla gets out of the car.

Kla: You go inside first. I will bring your luggage later.

Veera nods his head and follows his dad inside. As he enters his house, he is shocked to see his mom standing there with a middle aged man and woman. Veera didn't know them. He looked at his mother and she had tears in her eyes.

Veera: Mom

Veera's mom looks at him and she looked distressed. She quickly runs towards him and hug him tight. She starts sobbing in his arms.

Veera: Can anyone tell me what is going on here?

Everyone looks at him with an unreadable expression.