Chapter 12

Veera: With due respect dad, I understand your expectations from your only son. I think he tried his best to balance between your choice along with his when he joined Business management in college. But every one of us is different and we have different talents. I chose Engineering because I love breaking and fixing things. Tanet's heart is in music. He expresses his emotions through his songs and it's a god gifted talent.

Tanet is stunned by Veera's response.

Tanet's dad: But he is my only son and I want him to run my business.

Veera: Dad, I am his husband and his happiness is my responsibility. I don't want him to choose between his responsibility and his music. I will run your company on behalf of Tanet. I will teach him everything he need to know to run a company successfully and he can work with me whenever he is free. One day when he is ready to take the responsibility, I will handover the company to him.

A tear drops from Tanet's eyes on hearing Veera's words.

Tanet's dad: Son, you also have your dad's company to run. How will you find time to run both?

Veera: I can do it both but I need your permission to do something.

Tanet's dad: What?

Veera: I have a group of trusted people that can help me run the company. I want to hire them to form a excellent support system.

Tanet's dad: I don't have any objection with that.

Veera: Thank you.

Tanet's dad: So, starting next week, Tanet will be the CEO of the company while you will be the acting CEO. Tanet can continue with his music band while you will run the company. Deal?

Veera: Deal

Veera shakes hands with Tanet's dad to seal the deal.

Meanwhile Tanet is listening to this entire conversation from outside with tears in his eyes. He wipes his tears, takes a deep breath and then puts on a smile on his face before entering the room.

Tanet: PVeera, I am done packing my stuff.

Veera: Okay. I will help you get those inside the car.

Veera helps Tanet to get his luggage in the car. They bid their goodbye to Tanet's parents and leaves for Veera's condo.

Veera and Tanet reach Veera's condo in 20 minutes. It's at a small distance from Veera's office and Tanet's studio.

Veera: Let's get whatever we can carry and go upstairs. I will come down and get the rest of the luggage up with the help of the security.

Tanet: Hmm

They each pick up a suitcase and a shoulder bag and head towards the lift. Veera's condo is on the topmost floor of the building. They get out of the lift and walks forward a little until they reach a door. Veera punch in the code and opens the door.

Veera: Please come in.

Tanet walks into the room while Veera stays back doing something at the door. Tanet looks around and is surprised to see how neat and minimalistic, the condo looks. There is just a black couch and coffee table in the living area. There is a huge TV and some DVDs lying around as if they haven't been used in ages. There are two bedrooms and a kitchen.

Veera: I have changed the passcode to 1822, your birth date followed by mine.

Tanet: Okay

Veera: I am sorry, the place is sparsely decorated.My creative side is a bit rustic. You can redecorate everything as per your taste.

Tanet does not say anything and just smiles at Veera.

Veera: We have two rooms but I think there are a lot of crap stored in the second bedroom. If you are comfortable sleeping in the same room with me, we can make the 2nd room a small music studio for you.

Tanet still does not say anything and just keeps looking around.

Veera: Tanet

Tanet: Hmm

Veera: Is there something bothering you? You are unusually silent today.

Tanet: I..I am just feeling overwhelmed. I am not sure how to thank you for everything you are doing for me.

Veera: Huh

Tanet: I heard your conversation with my dad. Thank you, for supporting my dreams.

Veera: You don't have to thank me. I am your husband and your friend. It's my duty to support you. I will always be there for you.

Tanet suddenly hugs Veera.

Tanet: Thank you. Thank you so much.

Veera is stunned for a second but soon recovers. He breaks the hug and looks at Tanet with a smile.

Veera: Nothing is free. As a payment, you have to redecorate this condo.

Tanet: Isn't it too expensive?

Veera: Well I am taking the official responsibility. So you take the personal one.

Tanet: Aye Aye Captain.

They both burst into laughter.

Veera and Tanet first clean up the mess in the guest room and then the entire condo. They then go out to purchase a few things like curtains, vase and a few paintings. After the shopping, Tanet gets busy decorating the house while Veera goes grocery shopping. By the time he returns home, the condo was transformed beyond recognition.

Tanet: What do you think?

Veera: Stunning. It's a spectacular transformation.

Tanet: Thank you.

Veera: Go take a bath. You must be hungry after so much hard work. I have bought food. I will put away the groceries. By the time Tanet finish taking bath, Veera puts away the groceries. Then he goes to take bath and Tanet sets the dinner table. Veera finishes his bath and they both have their dinner making some small talks. After dinner, they decide to call it a day as they are too tired.

Veera and Tanet lie on the bed looking at the ceiling in silence.

Veera: Tanet

Tanet: Hmm

Veera: Should I keep the lights on?

Tanet: No,you can turn it off. Just hold my hand till I sleep.

Veera turns off the light and moves closer to Tanet. He gently takes Tanet's hand in his hand and interlocks their fingers.

Veera: Goodnight Tanet.

Tanet: Goodnight P.

They both slowly drift into deep sleep.