15 - What The Sword Can't Break

"Surrender your Bible!"

A whip harshly touch the man's naked back. A red slanting mark imprinted on it with a shed of blood.

Few minutes ago, they were just worshipping, they were just chanting the good name of the Lord. Until police and soldiers came. The country they live in condemned the religious order and take in the believer to force them to give up their faith.

The men shook his head.

"Tell me! Where's the priest and your Bible?!"

"No!"

"Ah, fuck this."

They are in a dark room with only a dim light focusing at his head. He can still clearly process that there are more than ten of soldiers, and there are more of him who's being tortued in the same room. Slashing of knives, guns and bullet came. But he can't help or do anything but muttered a short prayer.

Lord, I ask for your salvation.

Their Church cannot even be called a Church but a cave. Sometimes it's a resto in disguise, sometimes in a house... How did it end up like this?

The man was tortured with wip, with drowning water, and no amount of pain can make him say anything. After three days, he almost die, but was miraculously let go.

The priest thank him and the others for not saying anything. The hidden Mass is continued, and in his rest he continued on attending. In his resting days, it is always peaceful as he would come, confess, eat the bread, and be amaze at the homily.

After a years, the man got a job, he and his family flew away from the country and finally got their freedom. The Church is much more beautiful, much more bigger. They don't have to hide anymore, nor be scared first before participating in a mass. The man was so happy and almost in tears in his first ever enter in the Church full of Jesus and Saints sculptures.

After a while, few years later, the man became successful with his job. He became busy with job, caught up in deadlines, and was busy catching up with the country's values.

One sunday he missed out.

He was busy counting his money and building their own house.

One sunday he missed out again.

He was busy for the overtime.

One sunday he missed out, again.

He was busy for the business meeting.

Another sunday, he was still busy, busy until forgotten and attended the Mass, only in Christmas, only in birthdays, only... when the time can handle.

He was busy giving too much of time at the things that if he would give to his past self, it won't make a difference. But give his past self a Bible and his eyes will light up as if the sun has taken him.

He was driving his car, too tired from work, his eyes are dull looking at their new house glistening in marmols.

It was a living example, that what swords can't break, our flesh can.

Matthew 12:23

"When an unclean spirit goes out of a man, he goes through dry places, seeking rest, and finds none."

Source of Idea: Ascension Presents (Fr. Mike)