30 - Stages of Suppression

"Okay, ready, yung smile Alyanna."

Her lips turned into a smile. And a camera flashes.

"Dali upo! Hala, patapos na performance ng AZ."

They shove them and let her sat at the corner of the chair, clothed her, and with the brushes of his contour, they applied heavy make up that could cover the heavy hideous bulky black eyes of her. Her lips turned into a stiff, memorizing her lyrics with her body at the beat.

Everyone taps her shoulder.

"It's okay, Alyanna."

"Condolence, Alyanna."

"Kaya mo yan, supress your emotion for the people..."

She smiled at them all at one. Not even uttering a word but a curse under her breath. She heaved a sigh, then comes another, realizing she couldn't breath, Alyanna made her way to the comfort room.

"Kawawa naman si Alyanna no?"

"After hearing that her Mom died, one day before the concert ta's hindi pa s'ya pinayagan ng management na i-cancel and event. Gosh."

"Para sa people eh."

Alyanna left the comfort room, without any comfort at all.

As she reached the backstage, the crew once again made a check up on her details, on her dress, on her mic, the speaker, the back up dancer, but no one checks how's the inside of her heart.

The lights came, the spotlight came on her, the sound came, her emotions wanted to waver but everyone was smiling. It feels wrong to not imitate their happiness when you're supposed to be grieving.

She tried to sing, she smiled, while her heart sanking deeper. The camera flashes and she flicker her eyes. But suddenly, the music died.

The crowd died. The light came off. Tuluyang nawala ang ngiti sa kan'yang mga labi ng wala s'yang makita ni marinig. She heard something stumble.

Ah, it's her. Herself falling from the stage, cause the tears cannot clear her way.

Everyone thought she was still there at the top of the stage, but no one took a second look to know how her heart shattered like the beats of the song, and her arms just fallen to the ground, while wishing for her Mother who'm she can embrace no more.