4.1 | talk to me, charlotte marie

talk to me, charlotte marie

as told by everest

As we pulled into your driveway that night, I felt a tear creep onto my collar bone and it sent shivers down my spine. I couldn't see your face because it was covered by your hair, but I could sense the sudden sadness radiating from your heart.

"Charlotte," I whispered softly, lifting your chin from my shoulder gently and turning your face into my direction. Your eyes were blurred with tears and your cheeks were flushed a dark cherry red. I wanted to hug the sadness away but I knew that doesn't always work. Sometimes your ears are more valuable than your arms. "Charlotte, why are you crying?"

My mom put the car in park and flipped the volume down, killing the off-key eighties. She hadn't noticed what was happening since she was so intrigued by the music, but once it was silent she became observant. "Char, what's wrong?" she asked, unbuckling her seat belt and turning to us. 

The tears spilled from your cheeks like raindrops, and I wiped them away with my thumb, holding you close and rocking you back and forth. "Talk to me, Charlotte Marie," I said. I could feel the pain starting to carve into my heart; I hated seeing you upset, Charlotte. I really did.

"Nothing," you said quietly, pulling out of my grasp and cleaning your nose with your sleeve. My stomach hit my feet; I didn't want you to let go of me. I never wanted to stop knowing that I could embrace you. I never wanted to stop feeling your honey skin.

You opened the door opposite of mine and stepped out, the cold air drifting into the vehicle. I opened mine, too, but you stopped me. "No, Everest, it's okay," you said, showing a small smile. But I could see right through it, Charlotte. I knew you had daggers in your veins.

"I'll walk you to the door," I insisted, but you just shook your head and slammed the car door closed. You started towards the entrance of your house, your arms crossed across your chest and your hair blowing around your face in the wind. I hopped from my seat and ran after you. "Charlotte, wait! Please!"

But you didn't wait. You kept on walking, the tears drowning your beautiful smile, until you reached the front door and entered without a word.