3.6 | everett, evernest, everest

everett, evernest, everest

as told by char

 • 

I had never been in a more awkward situation than that dinner. Ever.

You stood there trying to act tough and fearless but I could see the nervousness in your eyes and it made me want to pull you away and hide. My parents stared at you with extreme confusion and discomfort, mostly because they'd never been in that situation before. I hadn't either, and it seemed as though the same applied for you.

Basically, trillions of negative feelings were floating in the air and being inhaled as we breathed and absorbed themselves into our veins. The four of us didn't know what to do or what to say or how to express anything.

But, being the crazy person you were, you were the first to speak. "Sorry for coming so unexpectedly, but the idea just randomly came to my mind."

My mother shook her head. "Oh, no, we're pleased to have you!" she said with enthusiasm, which I could tell was fake. She didn't want you here. She didn't even want me here. "Charlotte, why don't you grab a chair for Everett."

"Everest," you corrected, lifting your index finger. You looked at me, your eyebrows creased, and I could tell that you were sad about the situation. He could already see that we were strangers, the three of us.

I shone him a small smile and walked towards the kitchen, grabbing the extra dining chair from its corner. It's barely ever used; it just sits there, dust collecting, looking lonesome. But, as I brought it back into the dining room and positioned it close to my own, I felt something in my chest. Not fear, or nervousness, like I had been since you first arrived at the doorstep.

It was hope.

Hope that you would bring something crazy into our lonely family of ours; like a burst of a bond, like fireworks lighting up the darkness. Hope that I would be able to love my parents and protect them and be their Charlotte. I hoped you would create that door, so I could turn the knob and love every moment.

I sat down in my chair and you seated yourself next to me. Almost instantly I felt your hand fumbling to grab mine, arranging them so that my fingers alligned with yours. I squeezed your hand hard, and you squeezed back.

"So, Evernest," said my father.

"Everest," you corrected once again.

"Right," my dad said, shaking his head. "Tell us about yourself."

And you did. You blabbered about your life and your family and friends and how we met and your love for books. I listened intently, smiling at the little things, and I loved it.

I loved you.