3.12 | off pitch eighties

off pitch eighties

as told by char

 •

I had always adored your family, in all honesty. They were cheerful even when there was nothing to be cheerful about, they enjoyed each others' company, and they were so overwhelmingly filled with love. Whenever I came over, they would treat me like I was their own. And when I was talking about you as a kid with your older sister or baking cookies with your mom, you would look over at me and you would give me the smallest smile. So small that I could barely notice that it was there, but I could see how happy you were. You were just so happy seeing me happy, and that was the greatest gift of it all. 

And I would be in tears as I put on my shoes when it was time for me to return back home. I didn't want to leave. I never wanted to leave. Your family was better than any family that I could imagine, and my heart would feel like it would fill with lead when it was time to return to my own. Your mother would drive us back to my house because she didn't know about your illegal driving, and she would blast eighties music from the radio and sing along, and it was always off pitch but it was so beautiful. We would sit in the back seat and I would rest my legs over your lap and we'd hold hands and I'd nestle my cheek into your shoulder and we'd just listen, and I was just overwhelmed with so much joy and sorrow at the same time that I felt as if I would explode. 

Things were so crazy, Everest Logan, but I loved it.