3.11 | its illegal

its illegal

as told by everest

 •

Later that week, the two of us were sitting on one of the metal benches in front of the school about fifteen minutes after the final bell rang. The bench was really cold, even though it was still pretty warm outside for how near winter was approaching, and I'm not really sure why it bugged me so much. I wanted to stand up because the bottom of my legs were getting numb, but then I looked down at you and saw how snug you were and decided not to. You were resting your head on my shoulder, your cheeks flushed, and you were fully engulfed in the music that you were listening to through your little white earbuds. Your eyes were closed. I knew you were probably exhausted, because we had stayed up until almost four A.M. videochatting because your parents were away and you were feeling lonely again. So I let you rest, and I stroked your blonde hair with my thumb gently, and I watched my peers laugh with each other and pile into crappy little cars and drive off to who knows were. 

My mother was supposed to pick me up today. She said that she was willing to drive you home, too, because she absolutely adored you. I never told you how much she talked about you when you were away, because she did her fair share of babbling while you were there. I was just hoping she would be able to quiet down a bit while we were in the car because I knew you wanted to sleep. 

A few minutes passed (I couldn't feel my legs at that point), and things had quieted down a bit. I assumed everyone had finally left, but I knew that theory was wrong when I heard the click-clacking of high heels behind me. I turned my head slightly and saw Diana strutting down the pavement, her tongue clicking her gum and her bag resting in the crook of her elbow. She saw me staring and smiled, heading towards us.

"Heeeey-"

"Shhh!" I said, pressing my index finger to my lips. "She's sleeping. Don't be so loud."

Diana just giggled. "You're such a gentleman," she replied. 

"I try," I whispered. "Where's your brother?"

"Making out with some junior in the back hall. I swear, he's going to get a girl pregnant sooner or later." She rolled her eyes. I shook my head; the fact that he was doing this didn't surprise me at all.  He had always been perverted, and it grossed me out. "I can't wait until I get my driver's licence so I don't have to wait for his ass every day."

"Well," I objected. "You know how to drive, so technically you could drive home. The only problem is that it's illegal."

She rolled her eyes at me. "No freaking way, I had no idea," she said sarcastically. 

I just laughed. "I've done it. I drove to Charlotte's by myself; does that make me a rebel?"

"Such a rebel," said Diana. She glared down at you, a little smile spreading across her lips. "You guys are adorable," she then said softly.

"Thank you," I replied, kissing your forehead. 

Diana looked away as I did that. I had this strange feeling in my stomach as she did so, and I wasn't really sure what it was, but it didn't feel very good. "Um, I'm just gonna go," she said, tucking some strands of hair behind her ear. "I'm going to be illegal; Derrick can walk."