2.11 | like mad

like mad

as told by char

I had only frowned when I received your message. I was looking forward to sitting next to you, but I understood. If I was in your position I would have done the same thing, because I was also a selfless, very sympathetic person just like you. I'm not saying its a bad thing to be that way-- it was a very good human quality, actually-- but I kind of wish you would be selfish for once and choose me over her.

Again, I was feeling that pang of jealousy and ownership that I don't really have rights to.

I went home on the bus with Madeline and my other friend, Danielle, and I didn't say much because I was sad. I laughed when they laughed and replied when they asked questions and "aww"ed when they as Madeline pulled up a picture our classmate's new puppy (even though it didn't give me that cuteness overload feeling that puppies usually did). I was good at pretending that I was okay.

I was walking up my driveway after boarding off the bus when I finally got a call from you. My phone buzzed in my pocket and it made me jump, but I eventually clumsily pulled it out and pressed the 'talk' button. "Hey!" I said enthusiastically into the receiver.

"Hi," you said, not even close to meeting my eagerness.

I pursed my lips as I approached my house. "What's wrong?"

"My car ride was awful," you said.

"Why? I said.

"Multiple reasons. One, they were blasting the stupid pop music way too loud."

I pushed open the door and stepped inside with a sigh. My shoes easily slipped from my feet and I placed my backpack on the stairs banister.

"Two, Diana and her brother were both singing along to it."

I laughed.

"Three, I had a reoccuring urge to open my car door and jump out and roll into the ditch so I could run back to the school and sit with you on the bus. I realize now that would have been terribly dauntless and probably would have killed me, so my brain is glad I didn't. The rest of me isn't so sure."

I giggled again, the butterflies in my stomach fluttering like mad.