4.8 | smile or frown

smile or frown

as told by everest

My mom let me sleep in the same bed as you. If it were any other occasion, she would have said no. Although she was fairly easy-going and trustworthy of me, things like that always got to her. She always told me to be careful because we weren't old enough to deal with the consequences of adulthood. Maybe not, but I wasn't worried about it. I wasn't really into that stuff. I wanted to collect memories, things that I could share and remember with a smile on my face, like eating ice cream with you or dancing around your bedroom or blasting indie music with you.

Once I realized what had happened at your house after I left (my dad really didn't have to explain it; the bruises spoke for themselves), I didn't let you go. I climbed into the bed with you after my parents kissed our cheeks good night, and you dug your face into my chest and I wrapped my arms around you tighter than I ever had before, whispering to you, telling you that it would be okay and I was there for you and that I loved you more than anything else in the universe. You didn't say anything back to me, but you didn't need to. I just wanted you to know that you were safe.

I didn't sleep that night. You woke up a few times, breathing heavily from nightmares, but I stroked your hair and kissed your forehead and reassured you until you fell back into slumber. 

And, Charlotte, it was one of the most beautiful yet most heartbreaking nights of my life. 

Thinking about it now, I don't know if I should smile or frown. 

Feelings are weird.