2.10 | slipping away

slipping away

as told by everest

"Everest!"

Diana's voice was like one of those popular queen bee voices that you hear in chick flicks. Kind of deep for a girl, without very proper diction, and a slur like they're drunk. I knew that slur wasn't real, because she didn't use it in her voice when she wasn't around other people, but she acted like it was natural. She wanted to be like those flirty, dumb girls that spend too much money on clothes and makeup, and went to such extremes that she'd tweak her voice to seem more like them. The desperation for popularity that she had made me want to hug her and rock her back and forth and feel sorry for her.

"Everest, come here!"

Somehow we became friends in third grade. I don't even remember specifically how we did; I just recall that we got assigned seats by each other one day and, poof, a friendship blossomed. I was still her best friend, and I tried to be good, but she was slipping away every day and it was getting harder and harder to remember who she was. She was becoming a different person.

I walked over to where she was leaning against her brother's truck, smacking bubble gum against her tongue. She was typing at her cell phone, her fingernails clicking against the screen.

"What's up?" I asked.

She turned her phone off and shoved it in her jeans pocket, looking up at me. "You're coming home with me and Derek, right? Don't bail on me twice today."

I looked at where Derek, her brother, was sitting in the driver's seat, blaring the song Blurred Lines (how immature), then back at Diana.

I didn't want to miss out on sitting with you on the bus. I wanted to tell Diana that, but I had skipped lunch to eat with you and I didn't want to hurt her feelings again. So I sighed and agreed with Diana.

As we piled into the truck, the horrid music still booming from the speakers, I pulled out my own cell phone to leave you a message. Hey Charlotte, I won't be riding the school bus this afternoon. Diana offered to bring me a ride home and I couldn't say no to her twice today. I'll call you later. -Everest Logan.

I regretted taking that ride. I wanted to jump out of that stupid truck and run all the way back to school so I could board the bus and sit with you instead.