2.1 | first words

first words

as told by char

I boarded the school bus with makeup covering my eyelids. I usually did not wear makeup besides mascara because my eyelashes were blonde like my hair and you could not see them, but I had been crying the night before over the unknown and my eyelids had swelled. I hoped no one would notice.

I was about to sit down with my friends, my hand on the leathery gray seat, when someone cleared their voice. I looked up, and you were sitting in your seat alone, looking up at me with huge eyes.

I smiled slightly and you opened your mouth, words spilling out faster than I could understand. "Umsodoyouwanttositwithme?"

I blinked. "What?"

You closed your eyes for a moment, taking a deep breath. Then, your voice shaky, you finally asked me. "Would you like to sit with me?"

I looked down at my friends, who were staring right back up at me with awestruck expressions. I sort of wanted to just take a seat with them and duck down and scream from my immediate joy, but I brushed my fear and awkwardness away and walked towards your seat.

You looked like you were going to vomit when I slid in next to you. "Um, are you okay?" I asked.

You cracked a smile, your expression softening. "Yes," you answered. "I'm just surprised you actually, you know, sat with me. I'm Everest."

I laughed. "Char."