4.6 | shatter

shatter

as told by char

I realized that I needed to get out of the woods. I needed to go somewhere safe, somewhere where I wasn't vulnerable and alone. I needed to find you and get out of this place.

I tried to stand but my legs were shaking and I fell right back down. I took an unstable breath, trying to keep myself together. I grabbed the tree next to me and lifted myself up. I needed to get to you. But I lived so far away; it would take hours to get to your house, and I wasn't going to go back to my home to get my cell phone. That was definitely out of the picture. 

I stepped out onto the highway, where everything was uncomfortably still and the only thing I could hear was crickets chirping around me. I felt a chill down my spine, but I had no choice.  I had to get somewhere; anywhere. So I started walking, my arms wrapped around myself in discomfort, trying my hardest not to break again. I didn't know how many times I could break before I would shatter.

If you loved me, why'd you leave me?

I realized now that this song didn't need to be about a romantic relationship. It hit me harder about my parents than it ever could about a boy. If my father cared about me, he and my mother wouldn't have neglected me like that for my whole life. My father wouldn't have hurt me like he did. They would love me and treat me like a daughter.

Suddenly, I saw lights flashing behind me. I turned, coming face to face with you, Everest Logan, sitting in your mom's car being illegal. I couldn't see you because the headlights were blinding me, but as the driver's door opened and you ran out and threw your arms around me and squeezed me into a hug so hard that I could barely breathe, I knew I didn't need to see you to recognize you. You ran your hand over my hair and continued to hug me for what felt like hours and I started to cry because I was exploding with millions of different emotions that I couldn't even put into words. You wiped my tears and cooed me, eventually leading me back to the passenger seat of the car so I could be illegal with you, and I was numb.