Primal

SOPHIA'S POV

It was 7 o'clock when I heard mom's car pulled into the driveway. I was sitting on the living room couch in my blue short shorts and a oversized white shirt with my double R graffiti art on with my hair out and wild drawing and chilling with Josh. Mom walked in her Chief uniform, handbag on her left shoulder and her raven black hair in a ponytail. "Good night guys,"she greeted with a warm smile. "Buenos noches mom," I replied before Josh offered his greeting. "Bake chicken is in the oven, pumpkin rice and pasta is on the stove."

"Why thank you oh sweet daughter of mine," said mom in a mocking old lady tone.

"I helped too Aunty Terry," interrupted Josh watching Top Gear on the big flat screen tv. "Wow I didn't know you could cook Josh. If it's good I might have to hire you at the restaurant." I rolled my eyes looking at the grin on his face before going back to my drawing on my drawing tablet.

"I can't take all the credit, I just did whatever Sophia said. My cooking skills for now are limited to microwave food," he laughed. Joshua was always like this: playful, jovial and easy going. "Anyway a promised Paul I'd help him with something so good night to you lovely ladies," We did our secret handshake before walking out of our massive living room heading to the door.

Mom sat down next to me changing the channel the cooking channel. "So how was school, anything interesting on the first day of Sophomore year?"

"Kinda, there is this new guy Michael. He seems chill, handsome too,"

"How handsome. On a scale of 1-10?"

"Mom..........come on seriously," I replied trying to hold back my laughter.

"Oh come on, I know you graded him on site," she looked over at me smiling like a teenager.

"Ok fine, 7 based on what I can see. Nice hair, defined cheekbones for a fifteen year old with a toned body. The cheerleaders are going to eat him alive," I said smiling at the dreamy look of my mother.

"My, my, my he sounds like a threat. Only if a were a few years younger....."

"Mother............ behave yourself. Next thing you know people might thing you're a cougar," I laughed almost falling to the floor.

"So what if they think that, cougars are hot. Besides your father is the only one that can handle me."

"Oh God please don't tell me how I was conceived. I need my ears for stuff."

"Ok fine but want to talk to you about something else," mom now in a calm tone. " It's about wanting a tattoo. Why do you want one, you never showed any interest in tattoos apart from designing some for people. You even said that you wouldn't get any. So why want one now?"asked mom. Curiousness in her voice.

I looked at her putting down my tablet then sighed. "It's because of what happened six years ago." At this my mom had a pained look on her. The same look she has whenever "that day" is mentioned. "That and my birthday coming up. I've been thinking about for a month now and looking back at where I was four years ago and where I am now plus the fact that in a couple weeks I'll technically become an adult just adds to it. The word tattoo means to leave a mark, a mark that means something. Four years ago you couldn't get me within a feet of a man. I was terrified of Josh, Cole, Paul and even dad touching me, I couldn't even stand the sound of their voices. And although even now it makes my skin crawl to have a guy other than them touching me, at least a can be around men. I no longer feel uncomfortable in my own skin and I've stop trying to kill myself. Those are the reasons why I want a tattoo mom, to say that I'm still here, that they didn't break me."

Mom at this point had tears running down her face as she looked at me. "Can I see your tattoo design?" I picked up my tablet showing her the design. "Roses, why roses?"