Inner circle

'Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live.'
-Anonymous

Tris POV:

"Why the fuck did you tell her?", Zeke hisses at Four while he drags me into the control room.
"Because Zeke, other than you im smart enough to realize that she cant be working against us. She is a fucking Divergent, remember? The people 'Old Societt is after? And the reason the real Grace is god knows where?", Four growls and plops into his chair pulling me down onto his lap a little forcefully.
Zeke furrows his eyebrows, shaking his head.
"Yeah...forgot. Sorry Tris.", he says with a slight smile on his lips.
I just wave it off and concentrate on the screen before him.
Four sighs behind me, leaning his forehead onto my back. I take his hand, which was wrapped around my waist and interwhine our fingers.
"I cant believe we've been fooled like that.", i murmur, still trying to process the information Four had given me just a week ago.
One day im in Graces apartment, fixing her hair for the wedding and the next thing i know is that it wasnt even the real her.
"What are we going to do?", i ask, worried, that it might already be too late to save our best friend.
Zeke sighs and runs his hands down his face, exhaustion clearly written on his face.
"I have no idea. We'll have to wait for Rob to contact us again. He's our only hope right now.", he explains as we stare at the still black screen anxiously.

*Meanwhile*

Rob POV:

I fumble with the hideout door keys until i manage to open it up and enter the dim lit hallways. Its been a week now since I've contacted Zeke and Four and ever since then i tried to come up with a good plan to get Dollface out.
As i expected her condition was worsening.
She barely manages to stand up on her own two feet now. She cant talk anymore and sleeping isnt happening either.
Claire lets her undergo the sims, claiming that her brain was still intact or some stupid shit like that.
I shake my head furiously. How could i let something like that happen? She was innocent and just a toy in the hands of crazy people.
I arrive at Graces cell to see her leaning up against a wall starring infront of her blankly. Thats what she has been doing lately.
She got even thinner, if that was even possible and the veins on her hand seemed to stand put even more because her skin got so pale. It looked like see through paper.
I crouch down beside her, the cellbars keeping me from going any further.
"Hey babydoll, how ya feelin'?", i ask and start pouring some water into a cup.
I look up to see her looking at me already. She smirks, which surprised me. This woman's strength never ceased to amaze me despite of what she had been put through.
I bring the cup full of clear liquid up to her mouth so she could drink.
A small stream runs down the corner of her lips but she manages to drink the most part of the water.
"Rob! Bring her in! They want to run the tests again.", Peter, another guard yells from the otherside of the hallway.
I sigh and open the celldoor then crouch down and pull her into my arms.
I start carrying her down the hallway and once i arrive in the testing room i put her down onto the testing chair.
"Thank you Robert. We'll call you when you're needed again.", Claire states not looking up from her clipboard and dismissing me with a wave of her hand, that i suddenly wish i could rip off.
I grumble some not so nice words and make my way to the computer room again.
Most of the people in there where now in the testing room, except the few people that would help me escape with Dollface.
I open the door and close it quickly when i enter.
The man sitting infront of the computer looks up and gives me a firm nod.
"How are things, Albert?", i ask and sit down next to him.
He shrugs, typing some things.
"Pretty good. I think we'll be able to sneak you two out of here soon.", he informs me smiling slightly.
"Finally some good news Alb. I dont know how long Babydoll's gonna hold up anymore.", i mutter.
"She'll survive, man.", he reassures,"I hate to change the subject but do you want me to connect you or..?". He trails off.
I give him the sign to do so.
It was time to act.

*Meanwhile*

Tris POV:

We all sit up straight when the monitor starts to flicker.
"Please wait... Connection will be made.", the computer says and Four and I look at eachother.
"Let me do the talking.", Four mutters looking back at the monitor.
We dont argue.
Suddenly a man appears on the screen. He appeared to be in his late forties. His hair was grey and reaching to his shoulders. His beard was equally as grey.
He looked at us nervously until his gaze falls on me.
"Four, who is that.", he asks suspiciously.
Four waves his hand lazily in the air.
"Dont worry. She's with us.", he reassures.
The man nods and clears his throat nervously.
"Grace is getting worse. As i assumed.
She's too weak to talk or move for that matter. The only thing she is able to do is undergoing those stupid sims. We have to act soon or else she wont make it.", he says with slight hint of anger in his voice.
My heart starts beating faster. She was getting worse and it was our fault. We never noticed she was gone.
Eric would flip. But we couldn't tell him without risking Grace.
I let out a shaky breath.
"We'll warn Evelyn, and only Evelyn so she knows. Maybe she has a plan.", Zeke says ignoring the warning from Four before we started this video conversation.
The man brushes his hand through his hair.
Its silent for a while and the tension lies thick in the air.
"Okay, fine. But only her. Contact me as soon as you talked to Evelyn. Shes the master of plans. She'll find a way to help us get out.", the man says smugly.
"Grace is a master in making plans too.", i mutter, blinking the tears away.
Who knows how much pain she was in right now. She might be dying for all we knew. She probably hoped we would get her, and we didnt even know she was gone.
Four furrows his eyebrows.
"You know my mom?", he asks ignoring my comment.
The man nods. "Met her briefly once or twice.", he says and looks to the side at something away from the camera.
"I got to go. Dont forget. Contact me.", he urges and the screen goes black.
I sigh.
"Lets go see Evelyn.", i mutter and we leave the control room one by one heading for the train.

*30 minutes later*

"Grace is what?!", Evelyn mutters lowly and leans forward," she was gone this whole time? How is that even possible? She was in so many leaders meetings the past year."
Four shakes his head.
"It wasnt her. It was someone with the right technology and enough knowledge about her to pretend to be her.", he hisses urgently.
"She could be dying right now! We need to do something!", i almost yell desperately.
Evelyn looks at me, the same desperation written in her eyes.
"Alright, alright. Okay I'll think of something. I-i just need some time.", she stutters.
Four jumps out of his chair and slams his fist onto the table, making me cringe.
"Time is the only thing we dont have!!", he shouts,"who knows what they're doing to her to get to those insides of that box!"
Its silent for a long time. Four starts pacing around nervously while Zeke drums his fingers against the wooden table.
Evelyn seems lost in thought.
"Okay, i got something.", she finally says,"im gonna stop talking about 'Old Society' so we can ensure that the fake Grace isnt getting any information about our plans. I'll simply say that the threat is over and that there were no spies in the first place. Meanwhile Tob- Four, you and Zeke are going to the hideout outside the fence and inform Collins and Miller. They were her closest seargents. Tell them to start snooping around further away of the fence and try spot anything unusual.
Tell them to report to you or me personally. Who knows who could read the messages if we do it per computers or letters."
She pauses and we nod, glad that we finally could start doing something.
"We'll find her and we'll stop those hooligans.", she pauses again some kind of determination taking over her facial features ,"No word to Eric.... To anyone until i say it."
We nod.

Grace, we'll get you, hold on a little bit longer!