Book of memories

2 weeks after

Grace POV:

"Stan ....please for the love of god, just give me the keys.", i beg trying to make up my best puppy face. Ive been told that mine is pretty irresistible.
Stan stares at me sternly before letting out an exhausted sigh.
"You're just going to go back to the very place that brought you so much pain?", he asks, skeptically.
I sigh. The place that brought me so much pain.
I knew he really meant the people...the people who once lived in it.
My mother. My dead sister.
I close my eyes, my chest tightening at the painful memories my family has brought me.
I realize i was taking way too long for an answer so i open my eyes, blinking the tears away and putting on the brightest smile i could muster.
"I want answers, Stan. You cant keep me from them forever and you know it.", i say," i want to know. I want to know the truth."
"Come on doc! Dont be such a dick.", Cole adds making Stan roll his eyes and give me the keys.
"You have 2 hours until i want these back in my office.", he says sternly, pointing at the keys dangling from my finger.
I smile at him and pat his back. "Sure thing.", i say and i leave his office eagerly followed by Cole.
"Cole, you didnt have to come.", i say while looking down at his arm which was still in a cast. He was getting better and i had taken over his initiates for the time being, but i still wanted him to rest, and not follow me around in Erudite. But of course, like the stubborn man he is, he went with me.
Max also told me that he had sent off a team to clean Candor off its spies and that Eric would be leading them. Thats why he hasnt been around for a while and somehow i felt uneasy at that thought. Something inside of me wanted him to be around me constantly, but i was also wary of him, he hurt Cole in a way, noone else would dare. As much as i wanted him around, I also feared him.
"I know i didnt have to. I wanted to.", he simply says breaking me out of my thoughts and making me roll my eyes.
"Whatever, we're almost there.", i huff playing with the keys nervously.
Its been a long time since I've entered this appartment. The last time I've been here was the day of the choosing ceremony.
We arrive at the entrance door which was marble white with only one name pinned in the middle of it.
'Matthews'
I unlock the door with a little bit of struggle and the door swings open, revealing a neatly cleaned, white hallway leading to the kitchen and the living room.
I walk down the hallway my hand brushing against the white wall and soon we enter the kitchen.
Cole stops at the entrance, leaving me some space to reminisce. I walk towards the big brown table, in the middle of the kitchen and brush across the surface.
The wood feels cold and hard on my skin just as my mothers voice was on the day of the choosing, telling me to choose wisely.
I look around and spot one single book, laying on the kitchen counter.
'Cooking for dummies.' it said.
I chuckle lowly. This one used to be my sisters. She was trying to teach herself how to cook, but always failed miserably. I remember how she made us chili once but put sugar instead of salt in it. It tasted horrible, but we still ate it and pretended that this was the most delicious dish we've ever eaten just to not upset my sister.
I smile and walk out of the kitchen, heading towards the living room.
I always considered the living room one of my most favorite places to be.
One wall was replaced by a huge window, just like in my room. A big tv screen and some movies tidily put under it. A brown coffeetable on a white plush carpet and a long ass white couch. A huge bookshelf on the opposite side, holding every single book ive ever read in here and also some old homework I've never even took to school.
"My, my this living room is dope.", Cole mutters behind me.
"You bet.", i answer, looking through the bookshelves while he looks out of the window.
I move onto the tv screen bending down so i could look at the movies. Soon i find the little button next to the movie shelf and i grin, pressing it.
The shelve immediately transforms into a playstation with two controllers just laying on top.
My mind immediately goes back to all the times my sister and i would play games on it as soon as Jeanine would head out to the labs. I frown for a second starring at the black controller. This one used to belong to someone else. Not only my sister played here...but i couldn't recall who the other person was who was playing with us these nights.
I hear Cole whistle behind me, a look of astonishment on his face.
"You had a fucking playstation?!", he asks, as his eyes threaten to fall out of his head.
I chuckle and stand up straight again.
"Yeah, pretty rad thing, I'll tell you that.", i laugh and he scoffs and mutters something about those damn rich ass Erudite families.
I shake my head and leave him in the livingroom and walking down the hallway again. I soon arrive at my sisters room. The door was still opened a little bit, so i enter looking around. I let my gaze wander across the little bookshelf in the corner of her room to her small bed with blue Hello Kitty sheets. I look at the dolls which were placed into a corner, their hair braided into various types of braids. She was always cut out for Amity.
I get closer to her bed and look at the small note book on it. I open the first page just to see a small drawing on the first sheet of paper. She must have drawn this when she was younger since the lines were drawn a little sloppy, and the sun was on the right corner, just like a child would draw. I smile brushing across the people drawn on it, probably supposed to be my mother and me. I smile but one single tear manges to land on the drawing. I didnt realize that i was crying up until now, so i quickly wipe the tears away, laughing at myself.
I shouldn't cry over her...she was probably in a better place right now...being happy and as far away from our mother as possible. Normaly I never believed in life after death....but for her i did.
I sniffle and look around her little room one last time, before exiting it and heading towards my own. I climb the stairs slowly before i arrive at my door. It was just as white as the entrance door with one difference. There was no name tag on it.
I push it open and take in my new, old surroundings. Everything was on its place. The computer on the small wooden table. Piles of books next to it rearranged in their alphabetical order. My almost king size bed with its dark sheets. Numerous pictures hanging on the wall.
I step closer to it looking at the pictures more closly.
One picture was my sister and me, standing outside of the Erudite headquaters, me kissing her small head and she's smiling brighter than the sun.
Next picture is me sitting in class. I seem to be very concentrated on something. I chuckle lowly. This picture was probably taken by one of my classmates. Timy was his name i think. He loved to photograph everything and everyone.
I move on and furrow my brows at the next picture. Im on some dudes back, my arms around his neck tightly. We both smile at the camera, seeming genuinely happy. I take a closer look at the boy. He had brown hair, piercing blue, grey eyes and a bulky yet not really muscly figure. I blink a few times before i recognize this person. And when i do, i take a cautious step back. This boy was Eric. The sadistic, cruel leader Eric. The one who beat up one of my closest friends. This Eric was now smiling right at me as if he was the happiest person alive.
I look at the picture right under that one just to see two maybe ten year olds, of whom one was me, playing happily in the sand with an a few versions younger Eric.
So we had some connection! I knew it!
I put the picture out of its frame and hold it in my hands, just looking at it dumbstruck.
He was a friend....a friend i had forgotten everything about.
My hands start to shake and i blink away sudden tears, trying to remember even the tiniest bit. But theres no use. I let myself fall onto the comfortable covers of my bed, not letting go of that picture. I let my gaze wander around my room. So many memories, tied to this place. And there's yet so much i have forgotten. Simply erased out of my memory and probably never coming back.
Suddenly my gaze falls onto something dark laying hidden under my pillows.
I lean over grabbing onto the thing, just to feel cold leather under my skin.
A book! But what was it doing there?
Could it possibly be...
I examine the book closer opening the first page and my eyes widen.
'Diary of Grace Annabelle Matthews'
Was written in gracefull, big letters.
It was! My diary! My memories, my thoughts, all written onto this tiny little book.
A wide smile spreads across my face as I stuff the diary into the inside of my black leather jacket.
"Hey Anni! You done? I think its about time that we head back!", i hear Cole shout from downstairs.
I take a deep breath putting the picture of my 16 year old self and Eric into the diary aswell and looking around for one last time.
"Y-yeah! Im coming!", i shout back, closing the door to my room and making my way downstairs.

Sooo what do you think?
How are your thoughts on Grace now?
Did they change?
What do you think will happen next?
Of course if you have any suggestions or ideas for the next few chapters just dm me or comment and I'll make some good long filler chapters.
As always, vote and comment if you liked this chapter, even if it was a little boring.
Remember. Love you guys and thanks for reading.

S-