Almost

The saddest word in the whole wide world is the word 'almost' .

He was almost in love.
She was almost good for him.
He almost stopped her.
She almost waited.
He almost lived.
They almost made it.

2 weeks later (Dauntless compound)

3rd person

Max keeps his gaze on the plate full of untouched food infront of him. 2 weeks since he learned that he had been fooled for an entire year. That he was never going to see Grace again. Now that they have finally worked it out, he had discovered that he'd been fooled by a complete stranger into thinking she was Grace.
Whats worse is, that Eric had married the wrong person and he still hadnt got a clue.
Suddenly his sorrowful thoughts are interrupted by Lauren and 'Grace' cheerfully plopping down into the chairs infront if him.
"Wow. Who pissed into your coffee?", Lauren laughs and plops a grape into her mouth.
Max just glares at her and doesnt say a thing. He was concentrating on not ripping of this doppelgangers head.
Grace studies him closely but is interrupted when Eric's lips are suddenly all over hers.
Lauren sees Max tense up but brushes it off quickly, thinking that he might just had a bad morning.
Eric detaches himself from Graces lips and slaps Max's back roughly, making him spit his mouth full of water out on the entire table.
"Ewww!", the girls squiek as water droplets land on their clothes.
"Whats up Max, why so down man?", Eric asks sitting down beside his friend.
"Nothing.", Max answers a little too quickly making Eric raise his pierced eyebrow questioningly.
Max looks over Laurens shoulder spotting Rob coming their way.
When he reaches their table he bends down on ear level.
"Troops were spotted near the fence. Their coming.", Rob whispers making Max tense up again," i think we should tell Eric. Like now."
They both share tense looks before Max starts nodding slowly.
"I will see to it, Rob. Thank you.", Max says, putting his leader tone on.
He watches Rob retreat and then turns to Eric who had been watching them curiously.
"Eric, I'll need a word with you in my office.", Max then says in a serious tone and they both stand up and start walking out of the noisy messing hall.

"Are you going to tell me what this seriousness is all about? Something happen?", Eric asks as soon as they enter Max's office, crossing his tattooed arms infront of his chest.
Max sighs and runs his hand across his face tiredly.
"You wont like what im about to say dude. You better sit down.", he suggests but Eric waves it off urging him to talk.
"Sooo...i dont know how to tell you this but...Grace...um... Shes...shes not really Grace.", Max says.
Eric looks at him, blinks once, twice before bursting out in laughter.
"Okay, man, what the fuck is this? Are you trying to prank me?", he chuckles but Max shakes his head violently.
"Eric!", he hisses," You dont unterstand. I mean that this Grace is not the Grace we know! Shes a traitor!"
Eric frowns and balls his and into fists letting them fall to his sides.
"How dare you talk about my wife like that?!", he then roars,"Grace is not a traitor!"
"Sshhh!", Max urges and steps infront of his friend.
"This woman", he gestures at the door," is not your goddamn wife. Your wife was held captive for an entire year and nobody knew!"
Its sileny between them.
"What?", Eric growls, his arms shaking with anger now.
"This woman out there is the leader of 'Old Society'! She pretended to be Grace all along while the real Grace was forced to open a box with toxic contents god knows where!", Max hisses," They are going to kill all the Divergents! Eric! You've married Kaitlyn!"
Eric blinks, trying to process this information. Kaitlyn.
Kaitlyn from Etudite. His former girlfriend, leader of 'Old Society'.
"How.", Eric breathes out,"Where is Grace now?"
Max just looks at him opening his mouth but not managing to get out the words.
Eric grabs him by the shoulders and shakes him violently.
"WHERE IS SHE?!", he shouts.
"Eric! Shes... She's dead!", he finally screams, panick in his voice," She died opening that stupid box!"
Eric stares at him, shock pumping in his veins like acid.
His hand slide down from Max's shoulders and he takes a step back.
"No.", he states quietly," no she cant be."
"She is Eric! Rob saw it with his own eyes!", Max says and puts a hand on his shoulder squeezing it in a calming manor.
"Then why didnt he do anything?!", Eric asks loudly shaking Max's hand off.
"He couldnt do shit, Eric! He tried, but he couldnt!", Max retorts.
"No, no, no this cant be.", Eric murmurs, sinking to his knees," she cant be dead."
Max stays silent. He had never seen Eric like this before and he was afraid of what could come next.
"How could i not notice? What the fuck is wrong with me?", Eric murmurs again," Jesus fucking Christ. What am i going to do? Shes dead. Fucking dead."
Then... Silence.
"What is going to happen next?", Max hears Eric say after a while and he bends down to look Eric in the eyes.
"I'll tell you. But you gotta promise me that you'll stay put. We need to make that bitch believe that we still dont know shit, alright?", Max asks earning a firm nod from Eric.
Max was impressed by how composed Eric was now, eventhough he saw the hurt flashing in his eyes. He was just glad that he hadnt done any further damage.