Scores and Scoldings

The teacher walked around the class room, handing over every one's papers, criticizing their scores with several remarks.

Mr. Goodman smiled wide when he handed over Charlie his paper. "Ha! Brilliant. Just like the past times. So talented. Bravo, bravo!" He exclaimed as he gave Charlie an appreciative pat on his shoulder.

A 100/100 was neatly circled in red ink on one corner of the paper, Conner had found out when he almost fell over, trying to sneak a peek into Charlie's paper.

The teacher passed Josh his papers, remarking his score as 'decent'.

Even after everyone else got their papers, Trevor and Conner sat in their seats empty handed. They found the teacher glaring daggers at them.

"Hillinger and McWillus. Meet me at the office after class" the teacher grimaced and strided out of the class room.

Trevor scowled as he already knew what was coming his way. He was already used to all these monthly customs. He got out of the class room with Conner anxiously following his tail.

•••

"Do you realize that you are the only ones who failed in the test?" Mr. Goodman asked, trying hard to keep his calm.

Trevor had scored 6/100 and Conner had scored 10/100.

"McWillus. Do you have an explanation for this?"

Conner shifted from foot to foot."I..." he started and grinned nervously at the teacher, ducking his head out of embarrassment.

"You?" The teacher raised an eye brow, compelling him to finish what he was saying.

"I went to the book store for getting some books I would refer to while studying. But I found myself wandering in the comic section and ended up buying a few comics and...." He trailed off and looked up at the teacher , smiling nervously.

"Ha! That is a valid explanation you have got there, McWillus. So, tell me, did you finish reading all those comics?" Mr. Goodman asked sarcastically. But Conner was too dumb to know it was just sass.

"Oh yes! I read it all within two days!" He said all excited and that only made the teacher explode with anger.

"DO YOU EVEN HEAR YOURSELF WHEN YOU SAY THAT?! CONNER McWILLUS, YOU FLUNKED. AND YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT COMICS. COMICS! JUST WHAT--" he roared but stopped abruptly as soon as he realised he was shouting. He pursed his lips and ran a hand down his face and let out a deep, shaky sigh. He was so exhausted and worn out.

When he was calm enough to speak, he started speaking."See, Conner. You were supposed to say something like 'I'm sorry, Sir. I will work harder next time' or like, 'I will try my best next time' and not--" Mr. Goodman heaved a long, exhausted sigh when he saw Conner looking at him with his eyes as wide as dinner plates. He shook his head and turned to look at Trevor.

"And you, Hillinger. What's your excuse? Has it been an anavoidable ritual for you to stand here and hear me shout at you at the end of every test?" He asked with both of his hands gesturing for Trevor to say something.

Trevor thought fast and came up with the lamest of excuses "... Something came up. So I couldn't study" he said and nodded to himself.

Cliché...

"Yeah? Then, What about last month's test? And the one before that?" The teacher asked leaning himself on the table. He had his eyebrows shot up and jaws clenched tight.

He was at the edge of losing his composure.

Trevor pursed his lips.

Mr. Goodman sighed. "I don't think I should keep you here any longer. You better work harder next time. At least score enough to pass the test. That is all that I'm asking of you. Now, leave" he dismissed them off with a wave of his hand as he busied himself, shuffling around the papers that lied on his table.

As Trevor was about to close the door behind him, the teacher called out "Hillinger"

Trevor turned around, wondering what in the world was up. He just did not feel like staying in that room any longer.

The teacher gestured for him to come in.

Ah, the last thing he wanted to happen...

Conner looked at Trevor and Trevor nodded at him reassuringly.

"You go on. I'll see you in class" Trevor told Conner and Conner scrunged up his nose a bit disappointedly, but proceeded to walk away any ways.

Trevor then got into the teacher's office he just walked out of.

Mr. Goodman sighed. He seems to be sighing a lot lately.

"Trevor, Conner should be able to score better marks if he tries harder. His former scores were not this bad. But you..." Mr. Goodman shook his head to himself.  "Trevor, Look, if you need help with anything, anything at all, we teachers are glad to help out, okay? That's what we are here for. Just push yourself harder or I'm afraid you will have to drop out of school. Would you not like to wear a graduation cap on that head of yours?"

Trevor pursed his lips and nodded.

"Fine then. Get going. You don't want to be late for your next class" The teacher said and went back at arranging the messy papers on his table.

Trevor walked out of the office and jumped when Conner shouted in his ear "Dude!"

"Conner!... Aren't you supposed to be in class?" Trevor asked rubbing his ear with an expression of slight annoyance filling his face.

"I was curious why he wanted to speak to you alone" Conner's smirk only irritated Trevor.

"Shut up, Kon" he mumbled and whacked Conner in the back of his head. He put an arm around his shoulders and pulled him to the class room with him. He hoped he would get some good sleep, listening to the lullaby sung by his math teacher.