Just One Moment

Trevor woke up the next day with a dizzy head, to a strange scent which was not his own. In his room.

He sat up somehow and thought about everything that has happened last night.

He had let Charlie kiss him to the point where Charlie slipped his hands into his t-shirt. He had stopped him then and there, pushing himself away, saying silly reasons.

Charlie had let out a chuckle and left his room after some time, clearly indicating that they were gonna have to talk about this the next day.

Did he really want him to stop? He really didn't know. He groaned and ran a hand down his face as the whole situation dawned on him.

What were they? Who was Charlie to him? Because "friends" was an understatement to what they are having right now. Because if there were any bit of friendship between them, they ruined it last night. Friends just don't go around kissing each other.

All of these thoughts made Trevor's head hurt. It was Wednesday and he had to leave for school in a few hours. The others were probably getting ready for school too.

Oh, how he hated school.

•••

School hours passed by as usual.

Boring as fuck.

It was time for detention which meant he was to see Charlie and there was no way in hell he could ignore him like he had done for the rest of the  day.

He walked through the long hall ways of the school with his head hung low and his mind preoccupied with a million thoughts. It was too hard for him to concentrate on anything. He had a feeling that he was overthinking stuff to the point that it was driving him crazy. And so, he had to sort this out as soon as he could.

As all these messed up thoughts drummed in his head, he should have watched where he was going. He bumped into someone.

"What the--"

Oh boy, why does this someone always have to be Charles Carlton of all people?

"You are early for detention" Charlie observed, his eyes watching Trevor amusedly.

Trevor hated the fact that he was a whole head shorter than Charlie. It made him look like a guy taking shade under a tree. He cleared his throat.

He wasn't dazed by yesterday's events at all.

"You know, about yesterday" Trevor started and Charlie felt his insides twist. He loved it. And he would give anything to feel Trevor's lips on his just one more time.

"It was just one moment and that's all it was. Let's just forget anything happened, okay?" Trevor let out a breathe and looked up at Charlie.

The words made Charlie's inside clench. It was like someone was clutching at his organs. He wondered if Trevor was messing around with him.

He should be messing around.

Charlie stared down at Trevor and searched his face for any sign of amusement with his scrutininzing gaze. But no, he was dead serious.

"We good?" Trevor asked again when Charlie didn't say anything.

Charlie pursed his lips and forced a smile on to his face. "Yeah, I was kind of thinking the same thing" he lied.

Well, if this is how he wants this to go...

"Okay, uh... So you want to go for detention now?" Trevor asked, looking at anywhere but Charlie.

"No. Um... I don't feel like it" Charlie said, his voice barely a whisper.

"Guess you are not a Goodie-two-shoes anymore" Trevor chuckled dryly, trying to look cool though his mind was just as messed up as that of the other boy.

Charlie faked a smile.

"Okay. Uh, why don't we go join the others before they leave without us" Trevor said and turned around, without even giving Charlie a second glance. Charlie followed suit, a lot of messed up thoughts throbbing his mind.

•••

Joshua and Charlie parted ways with the others and Joshua was complaining about  how Conner has been so clingy all day. Charlie hummed every now and then indicating to him that he was listening, though his mind was elsewhere.

"He said Trevor was being so ignorant all day, I mean, way more ignorant than he already was, so he tagged along with me to wherever I went" Joshua said waving his hand around as he spoke. "I guess last night must have gotten to him. Man, I'm sorry you had to do that. Jia really went over the line this time"

The mention of Trevor's name and last night's events didn't help Charlie feel any better. He thought about how happy he was all day, thinking about last night and then it all fell apart right before him. He felt tears prick at the back of his eyes. He blinked hard to ignore them from flowing out, but eventually, his lips quivered and his vision was all blurry from all the tears that welled up in his eyes.

"Char?" Joshua knotted his eyebrows together as he noticed Charlie wiping his eyes vigorously. "Hey, man, what's wrong?" His question was met with a sob.

Joshua held Charlie at arm's length and asked him again, his tone a mix of concern and confusion.

"I love him so much, Josh. Why can't he see that?" Charlie choked out as he continued to struggle to block out the tears that flowed down his face.

"You love who? Who are you talking about, and did you just say him?!" Joshua asked, but soon, his eyes widened a little in realisation and he let out an involuntary gasp. "You're not talking about Trevor, are you?"

Charlie just looked at him with hurt in his eyes, his lips pursed into a thin line as he tried hard to swallow a sob.

"You-- Charlie, did you talk with him about it?" Joshua really didn't know how to feel about this.

"We kissed, Josh. We really did. And now, he is pushing me away like nothing happened" Charlie tried to swallow the lump that rised up in his throat, but instead, it came out as a sob. He was having a hiccup-attack.

Joshua set his lips in a grim line. "Do you want me to talk to him?"

Charlie shook his head. "I'll just--" he wiped away all the traces of tears off of his face and continued. "Maybe, I should just... Get over him"

Maybe, we aren't meant to be together.