Chapter 1

Tears slid down my eyes as I stared at my reflection in the mirror

Tears slid down my eyes as I stared at my reflection in the mirror. Why, you might ask.

I was getting married today, and no. These weren't 'oh, my god I can't believe this is happening' tears. These were 'my life has been ruined' tears.

The one thing I wanted the most was getting yanked out of my grasp in a few hours. I was getting married to my dead sister's high school boyfriend; Nicholas Rossi, a man I had no feelings for.

The only reason he was getting married to me was because he wanted revenge. Yes, revenge. Just like everyone else, he thought I was responsible for my sister's death, and he wanted to punish me for that.

Of course, no one questioned his motive for marrying me. I wasn't their precious dead daughter.

"You need to stop crying, Giselle," the make-up artist said, puffing out a breath in annoyance. "You can't keep ruining the make-up. We still haven't gotten you into your dress, and the event begins in two hours."

I said nothing in reply as she began wiping the tears off my face, none too gently. I was motionless as they went through the motion of getting me ready.

"Perfect!" I heard my mother say from the dressing room doorway.

I looked at myself in the mirror, unable to hold back a gasp while staring at my reflection. I looked like one of those princesses from a Disney movie.

The dress was shaped like a ball gown, the bulky, silky material hanging off my waist. The dress was completely covered in crystals, dipping low at the front to show off some of my cleavage. My fire engine red hair was pulled away from my face, and some decorative pins were stuck in my hair.

"Now for the veil," the stylist said, holding up a glittery veil, which she also pinned into my hair.

"She looks so breathtaking, doesn't she?" The stylist asked Mother, whose eyes had filled with tears. "Aw."

Mother said, "I can't help but wonder what Gianna would have looked like getting married to Nicholas."

My heart dropped to the pit of my stomach. Of course, she just had to say that. It was always Gianna this, Gianna that for her. She never acknowledged me.

Sometimes, it left me wondering if she was my mother, but one quick look in the mirror crushed that thought. I looked exactly like her.

She also just had to mention Gianna's and Nicholas's past relationship. It was like she didn't care about my feelings.

"Excuse us, ladies," Mother said, holding her hand up to the women who had assisted me in getting dressed for the wedding.

"You can't help but wonder what Gianna would have looked like getting married to Nicholas? You seem to forget Nicholas' reason for marrying me." Not that she cared, anyway. "He's no son-in-law you should wish for."