Chapter 33

NICHOLAS

"Fabiano called for a meeting. You have to be there," Matteo insisted, closing the door to my office behind him. "It's urgent."

"I'd be lying if I said I give a fuck. They can shove their meeting up their asses."

"You look like shit." He picked up the empty whiskey bottle. "Did you drink this all by yourself?"

"No. It spilled when I went to use the bathroom."

"So, why aren't you home? You've been here for days, and you've turned down three meetings with Fabiano."

I rolled my eyes. "What could he possibly want to talk about? How close he is to his grave?"

I wasn't in the right state of mind to sit at a table with a bunch of men who'd be happy to put a bullet in each other's heads - most especially, mine. More than a few people were sore after they found out I killed my father, and that wasn't changing any time soon. My uncles were a testament to that.

Matteo snorted. "He isn't and you know it. You're just being a bitch for no reason. What's up with you and Giselle?"

"She's still at the house, isn't she?"

He nodded. "Andrea visited her a few days ago."

"Why?" Did she go there to tell Giselle all that her parents hid from her?

"I don't know. Adnan reported it to me when you wouldn't pick up your fucking phone." He said the last part with a glare.

I shrugged. "It's dead."

"You haven't answered my question, Niko."

"Which one? Why I ignored Fabiano?"

"The other one. What's up with you and Giselle? You fucked her the other day, didn't you?"

"I'm not talking about who I stick my dick into with you, Matteo," I groaned, throwing my head back against my chair.

"I don't want to either, smart ass."

I closed my eyes, basking in the silence that had fallen over us until Matteo had to open his big mouth again and speak.

"You were happy. Back in the kitchen," he clarified when I arched a brow at him. "You looked happy. You haven't been like that in a while. I don't think I've seen you smile since you returned."

I shook my head. "I wasn't happy. I was amused. Two different things. And yeah, I find her actions very amusing."

"She thinks you're still in love with Gianna."

I finally opened my eyes. "What? Been having heart-to-hearts with my wife?"

"No. The signs are obvious. She knows you were at Gianna's gravesite the other day, and she thinks you regret what you two did."

She was dead wrong. Truth was, I was fucking disgusted with myself, and I couldn't bring myself to look at her after everything I did to her.

"I wasn't there because I missed Gianna or because I regret what we did. That's far from the truth. I was at Gianna's gravesite because I was fucking pissed."

"You were pissed at the love of your life? Color me surprised," Matteo drawled, sarcasm dripping off his every word.

"Gianna isn't the love of my life."

After everything I just learned, I realized I might not have known her at all.

Matteo frowned, lowering himself on a chair. "Okay, tell me what the fuck is going on."