Chapter 67

GISELLE

Our trip to Naples only lasted a week, but it was the happiest I'd ever been in a long time. I went sightseeing with the girls, with Ambrose and Nicholas as our tour guides. To say I had a splitting headache the first hour or so wasn't exaggerating.

Esme and Ambrose wouldn't stop their catty back and forth, and at some point, Alessa and I ditched them. Nicholas had stayed behind to diffuse the situation. He was the only one who didn't seem to care about Ambrose's prickly attitude. Alessa said it was because they shared history. Apparently, they'd both been victims of their uncles. She didn't elaborate after that, and I didn't push. If Nicholas was ready to talk about it, he would tell me everything.

After a few drinks, Esme had let Ambrose off the hook, but I didn't miss the way he kept checking on her every once in a while to make sure she didn't have too much to drink. Maybe Zephyr was right, after all. They both had unexplored chemistry.

I got to taste Zephyr's cooking. I'd never say this to Sara or Daniella, but his tiramisu trumped theirs. His dream was to initially become a chef, but that changed along the line, and now he was a professional soccer player. He even promised to get me a ticket to one of his games in the future.

Edwina and Fiona were constantly hovering over me like Mama bears after Nicholas told them about my mother. Esme had also pulled me aside to talk about it, and I saw her in a new light. Even though she was constantly smiling and joking around, she had her own trauma she buried deep inside of her. We'd exchanged contacts after that, and she promised we'd speak regularly.

I even got to play chess against Ambrose, and I won even with my shitty skills. I knew he purposely let me win, and I took it as a sign that he accepted me as part of his family.

Alessa and I had spent minutes hugging before our departure. They were also flying back home in Ambrose's jet. They all had busy schedules they had to get back to.

I sank into the leather seat with a sigh. "We should do this again soon."

We were on the car ride back home. The week had flown by quickly, and I wanted to relive it again. I liked this side of his family. They were... normal. I didn't have to worry about someone pulling a gun out on Nicholas during dinner because they didn't agree with something he said or did. That was a constant fear I hadn't voiced out yet. If he could kill his father - deservedly so - at a dinner table, who was to say someone would do that to him?

"If by soon you mean next year, then yeah, I'm down. Give me 365 days to mentally prepare myself for how loud and boisterous they all are."

"Don't even pretend like you don't enjoy being them. I saw you smile more in seven days than you have in the months we've been together. You have this weird bromance thing going on with Ambrose."

"Alessa told you that, didn't she?"

I laughed, pulling my new phone out of my purse. "You heard nothing from me. I'm gonna FaceTime Cara. I haven't seen her face in days," I informed him, dialing Cara's number.

She picked up after the fifth ring, and her face filled the screen.

"You're glowing," she said with a huge smile. "And you look happy. It's a good look on you."

I giggled. "Why, thank you. How have you been? Is school kicking your ass yet?"

"Not really. Kingston's been helping with home..." she trailed off, wincing. "Forget I said that."

"Are you kidding me? Who is he?"

"You mean Nicholas hasn't told you?"

I turned to Nicholas, narrowing my eyes at him. "Told me what?"