Chapter 81

NICHOLAS

I felt eyes on me as I cut into my steak, bringing the severed piece up to my lips. I could hear their questions without them even opening their mouths to say a word.

What are we celebrating, and where is your wife?

No one was brave enough to speak yet, and we still had some missing people who hadn't arrived yet.

On cue, the French doors opened, and Luigi walked in, followed by Maria clad in an obnoxious red dress.

"Pardon our lateness. I heard there was a family gathering. What changed, Niko? I thought you didn't host," she said, plopping down on the chair Luigi pulled back for her. "And why do you have guards in here?"

"Why, I have some news to share with the family. A family gathering at my place is long due, don't you think?" I asked, looking around the table.

Nervous murmurs filled the air. My father's death was still fresh in their memories. I'd tricked my father into hosting a reunion gathering for me, and I'd killed him in front of all of them.

I lowered my head, chuckling to myself. That had earned me the title of the most hated relative in our family.

"As for the guards, they're here for our protection."

Daniella finally found the courage to speak, and she asked, "Have you found Giselle?"

"Not yet."

She frowned at me, pushing her plate away. "So, what are we celebrating? You should be out there searching for your wife. She's carrying your child!"

"Daniella!" Rocco scolded. "Show some respect to your capo."

Daniella huffed, crossing her arms in front of her chest.

"You don't need to worry, Daniella. I will find my wife. But first, I have something to share with the family. A little entertainment to go with dinner, yes?"

I pulled out a piece of paper from my pocket and unfolded it. "It's my mother's parting present to me before she died. I figured I'd share it with you all. Shall we begin?"

I looked around the table to gauge their reactions to my news, and sure enough, my man shifted in his seat, adjusting his tie.

This was too easy.

"Don't stop eating on my account. You only need your ears to listen, after all."

I exhaled. Even though I'd read the letter beforehand, it didn't make things easier for me.

Dear Niko,

I'm sorry you had to read this, but trust me, writing this wasn't any easier for me. People reach their breaking points, you know. Sadly, I've been pushed past mine, and I'm just too tired to keep fighting. You've been the only thing keeping me going since your birth, but you're a man now. I'm sure you won't need me as much when you return.

You always used to ask me why I married your father when I knew he was cruel, and I didn't know how to explain to you that the man you grew up knowing wasn't the same man I married. Jacopo and I got married because of a family debt my brother incurred. We started on the wrong foot, but we finally got it right.

We were so in love, and he used to buy me flowers every day. We had you, and Jacopo was overjoyed. He'd rock you to sleep, kiss you goodbye in the morning when he went to work, do everything a father was supposed to do, and more. Jacopo was happy, but alas, he couldn't let go of the demons of his past. His stepmother hated him, and she used to fill his head with all these disgusting things. He could never move away from them. He always believed he'd never be good enough, believed he didn't deserve us, and he let those thoughts pull him away from us little by little.