Chapter 4

"That piece of shit!" Aunt Adrienne hissed

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

"That piece of shit!" Aunt Adrienne hissed. "I can't believe he'd do something like this. And your mother agreed to this? Disappointing!"

I smiled, opening my mouth to take another bite of soup that she held in front of me. "Mother would do anything if it means she gets to live her lavish lifestyle."

"I honestly expected nothing from Lucia. She's such a despicable woman."

"It's fine, Aunt. This is my life."

"It's not okay, honey. You shouldn't have to suffer this way."

"He cheated on me on our wedding night," I admitted, my heart shattering even more at the memory.

Aunt Adrienne gasped, anger flashing in her eyes.

"I expected it. Just not so soon. When he talked to me on the phone before the wedding, he made it clear it wouldn't be a genuine marriage. He just wanted to make me suffer for taking the love of his life away. If he's not getting sex from me, he was bound to get it elsewhere."

"Oh, my God. This is very cruel of him. How can they blame you for Gianna's death? You loved her dearly."

"My parents spread the news, so of course, there's no convincing people otherwise."

"I'd punch him if I could right now. He's a bastard. A complete difference from his mother. That woman was the nicest person I've ever met. It's so sad that she's dead."

"I talked to his mother's sister briefly after the wedding. She lives in Greece, I think, and only came for the wedding. She seemed like a nice person. I guess the apple fell far from the maternal tree."

"Would you like to get out of here?"

I bobbed my head vigorously, glad for the chance at an escape. I could deal with Nicholas when he got back.

***

"I'm sorry, but you're not allowed to leave the house," the guard positioned by the front door said, blocking our path.

"Except you're going to put your hands on me, then I don't see how you're going to stop me. Did my husband ask you to manhandle me?"

"N-no," he stuttered.

"Then I don't see what the fucking problem is. If that's sorted out, you need to get out of my way."

"I can't. I have strict orders to keep you inside."

"And you risk losing your job in ten seconds if you don't move. All I have to do is say a word to Nicholas, and he'll fire you for not only manhandling his wife, but for also disrespecting her. I'm sure you don't want that. All it takes is a phone call."

I was bluffing, and I hoped for my sake that he didn't know my marriage was nonexistent. Nicholas would've had them toss me over their shoulders and tie me up in my bedroom.